News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 Eldorado bumper jack and spare assembly

Started by cougs62, September 25, 2014, 01:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cougs62

I'm hoping a fellow Eldorado owner can describe to me the spare tire/jack assembly for my 1967 Eldorado.  The car is otherwise complete, but I want to detail the truck back to original and am missing everything.  The owner's manual references a foam wedge/tool kit?  I also obtained a bumper jack, but I'm suspicious that it is not correct.  Any help provided is greatly appreciated!

T. Johnson

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Here is a space saver spare.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

J. Skelly

The jack assembly components fit into a styrofoam insert with a foldover cardboard cover.  As you can imagine, it's not a durable part.  I don't believe anyone manufactures one today.  It was one of many suggestions I made to Dave Leonard, President of Original Parts Group.  My car was missing it and I haven't bothered to make a replacement yet.  Hopefully someone will post pictures of what it looks like.  The plastic center armrest hinges were another dumb idea that got past the bean counters at GM.   
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

cougs62

Thanks guys, great info.  Maybe I can replicate the foam/cardboard thing from a wood block? Anyone out there have a spare they would part with?

Cheers!

T. Johnson

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ive got that space saver spare I showed above.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cougs62

Thanks Greg, but I want to stick with my full size spare..it just fills the hole better!  What I really need is the correct bumper jack assembly and foam wedge pictured above.  At least I now know what the whole package looks like now.

T. Johnson

cadillacmike68

That Styrofoam & cardboard holder is probably easy enough to make. You can get "plastic corrugated" and paint it black from shipping supply or crafts stores and something lightweight & dense from a crafts store (because Styrofoam is just impossible to cut without making a mess).
The blocking wedge is wood, not styro, and can be cut from a 4x4 or 4x6 and painted.

The jack base should be the same as all other Cadillacs (and other full size GM) of that era and the jack itself should be the same as well. the only real difficult item will be the curved bumper hook.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike