News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Curiousity Question For Discussion

Started by Jon S, September 26, 2014, 02:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

At what Timing Setting will a carburated Cadillac cold start easiest?  Top Dead Center, Advanced to Specification, Advanced slightly more than Specification, Retarded from Specification?  I don't know the answer, but am leaning toward Advanced to specification.  I know they run quicker and cooler slightly advanced beyond Specification and more sluggish/hotter retarded but was curious about cold starting differences.  Thoughts???
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Coupe Deville

You know I was asking myself this same question the other day. On my 472ci in my 72 CDV, the stock base timing setting is 8 degrees BTDC. I advanced it to 10 degrees and it starts better and seems to run happier there. I would try advancing a little, take a drive and go from there.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Jon S

Gavin -

My 1958 calls for 6 degrees advanced - it has been at 10 degrees advanced for some time and also seems to run best there.  I was just curious about starting effects especially after sitting for several weeks with this Ethanol mixture of gasoline.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Coupe Deville

Oh. I see now. Not sure about starting so much. I have set my fathers 390 to the factory timing mark for premium fuel. The 'A' mark on the pulley. His car runs fine. And when it sits for a month or two not run, all I do is pump gas once to put choke on, and one more time just to shoot gas down the carb. It cranks for maybe 3-5 seconds then fires right up. I know that some engines are different but this is just from my experience. We did have a problem with the fuel pump years ago when the car would always be hard to start hot or cold sitting or not, but once it got started it ran beautifully even at high speeds. Are you experiencing starting problems?

Yes, every time I fill up I say yeah, ethanol...... Not sure what gasoline you have where you live but here in California we have oxygenated gasoline. Their selling air!     
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jon,
The original timing specs were for a new car using what was the then (110 octane +) gasoline formulation.  If your car runs "best" set at 10 degrees initial and there is no pinging during acceleration than that is the setting your engine "likes". FWIW that magic 10 degrees seems to be what most of my cars seemed to like.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Jon S

Gregg -

The original octane was 101 back in the 1950's/1960's for high test, but that may have been calculated differently than today's method.  I add real TetraEthyLead to boost the 93 pump gasoline. 

Anyway, getting back to my original question, does it imply the best running Ignition Timing e.g. 10 degrees advanced is also the optimal Timing setting for best starts?  I think so, but was not sure.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jon,
On the west coast (at least) we had the "octane wars". I don't remember the specifi brands but 115 and 116 were the numbers.  Octane rating is still calculated the same way. R + M/2.
What I was really trying to refer to was the chemical composition of the gasoline when these motors were developed, and the timing curves designed for new motors with those fuels.  Each motor with its stacked tolerances and clearances, as well as drivers driving characteristics determine the "perfect" numbers.  If the particular batch of fuel has slower burning characteristics then a little more initial advance might be beneficial. The opposite is true for a highly volatile mixture.  No single number is valid for all cases.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Have had 1970 Cadillac RWD timing set advanced and retarded and at any setting it never pre-detonated or knocked.  It seemed to start nicer when advanced and idle better.  I read that advancing timing beyond factory setting I not good for the engine.  Further advanced timing is less efficient (from combustion perspective) so the engine runs hotter at highway speeds.  You would think that that the factory got this relatively simple adjustment specified optimally when the cars were new.  It seems wrong to advance it, although I agree it starts and idles nicer.   

I think we can all agree retarded timing is to be avoided.

On the gas and timing, the gas was more resistive to pre-detonation in 1970 than today, so it would seem that high octane gas that generally prevented pre-detonation not being available today would mean the opposite and the timing should be retarded some to avoid this.  I was working on a 68 with a 472, 10.5 to 1 compression ratio and after curing all vacuum leaks, had to set timing at one degree retarded from factory setting to keep it from pinging when accelerator is floored (owner instruction - set timing so it does not ping when floored - wanted to keep as close as possible).  Surprised that one degree fixed it, but it did.

My timing is set to spec on the 1970 Cadillac 472 RWD, will that get some more authenticity points at GN?   
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Scot Minesinger

George,

Yes joking. 

Always trying to win at GN, but driving a car 4k miles per year makes it difficult.  Plus I have the Diamond back dual stripe radials and dual exhaust. 

The exhaust system is so well done, I just do not have the heart to remove it and replace with authentic single pipe system.  The dual system also makes the flywheel cover and oil pan easier to remove.  I did replace all the hangers with authentic type used in 1970 - bought two used sets, removed rubber, media blasted, powder coated with hi-temp, replaced rubber and installed - looks real nice.

Although, I wish they took the cars for a drive at GN, that would really help me, as car drives so damn nice - understand that is completely impractical.

Back to the topic at hand, cannot imagine Cadillac got this timing setting wrong.  Advancing the timing means the park plug fires late and you do not get the efficiency needed, and it cannot be good for engine either long term - valves.

cadillacmike68

Advancing the timing means More degrees before TDC, so it fires earlier. 

That's what the vacuum and mechanical advances do - they increase the amount BTDC. The engine is spinning faster & the chambers are opening up faster so the spark needs to be sooner relative to TDC to burn.

Too much advance though and you end up with ping / knock city.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

n2caddies

Chiming in here from California.  My 59 and 60 seem to like the timing advanced about 10 degrees on premium pump gas.
Randy George
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

cadillacmike68

Is that base timing, at idle with NO vacuum or mechanical advance?  Different years had different specs.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

Too much advance hurts starting.  At the extremely low speeds of cranking you can 'get the fire going' too soon.    Think about it, if you start 'pushing' down before the piston reaches TDC you will be trying to turn the engine backwards.   At higher speeds the advance works because things are moving fast enough that 'lighting the fire' before TDC just happens to time out so that by the time the real explosion / pressure happens you are past TDC so the power is used to keep things turning in the direction you want.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Mike, yes sorry meant early not late on firing.

TJ, my car definitely started way nicer with timing further advanced than factory spec, which I agree trying to push engine backward a little bit seems contrary to logic.

cadillacmike68

What I've found with this generation is to read and follow that wide sticker that is on top of the radiator shroud. It is a condensed version of the language in the shop manual. 

An adjustment might need to be made for modern fuels, but timing is only one part of the equation. Proper setting of the carb's idle circuits is also important.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on September 28, 2014, 10:36:34 AM
TJ, my car definitely started way nicer with timing further advanced than factory spec, which I agree trying to push engine backward a little bit seems contrary to logic.

There is definitely a 'sweet spot' for a given engine and rpm.   If you get too much advance during cranking you will know it, the engine tends to kick pretty hard.  Hopefully you notice it before you break the starter off the block.   Its usually not a big problem for stock engines.  People with 'race' engines know these issues well.

Biggest issue I have seen lately is stock original vacuum advances are now often dead from old age and the replacements tend to pull way more advance than the originals and what is needed.   Common result is detonation.   Most people deal with detonation by retarding the base timing.   If you have a stock setup the factory manuals give the specs for the vac advance.  Some of the 'performance' vacuum cans have an adjustable cam stop to limit the travel, this is what you want to buy because you can adjust it to get the factory curve.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

^^^
Crane Cams makes a good one. It also comes with several spring sets to adjust mechanical advance as well.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Speaking from a starting perspective, Retarded is best.

Think about it.  It is designed to fire so the combustion event will be at its optimum when the piston is ready to be blown down.  If it is too far advanced, and just spinning at starter speeds, the combustion event will be complete well before the piston is ready to come back down.  You also risk the risk of it kicking back if it fires too early. 

The airplane has an impulse coupling on the magneto.  It is designed to deliver a hot retarded spark during starting. Flywheel weights bring the coupling pins in when it is spinning faster than what the starter will do.  The plane does not have an advance. 

I would think the car will run better more advanced--which they do. They have to be dummied down to run at idle.  The 7/8 degree point is probably as advanced as they could have gone to have a decent idle and a reasonable start.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Glen

Quote from: TJ Hopland on September 29, 2014, 10:46:36 AM

Biggest issue I have seen lately is stock original vacuum advances are now often dead from old age and the replacements tend to pull way more advance than the originals and what is needed.   Common result is detonation.   Most people deal with detonation by retarding the base timing.   If you have a stock setup the factory manuals give the specs for the vac advance. 

I had the same problem with my 68 ELDO until I read the Distributor Test Information in the shop manual.  Then I tested the vacuum advance and found it followed the specs exactly except it would go well beyond the specified 12 degrees of advance, going to 22 degrees.  So I installed a stop to prevent it from going that far and I no longer have pinging. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Steve W

Quote from: Glen on September 30, 2014, 01:48:38 AM
I had the same problem with my 68 ELDO until I read the Distributor Test Information in the shop manual.  Then I tested the vacuum advance and found it followed the specs exactly except it would go well beyond the specified 12 degrees of advance, going to 22 degrees.  So I installed a stop to prevent it from going that far and I no longer have pinging.

I know its an ancient post...but if anyone is reading this...how did you install a "stop"?
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866