News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 Fleetwood What Other Year Hydramtics Fit?

Started by Coupe Deville, September 26, 2014, 03:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. My friends 62 Fleetwood has over 100,000 miles on it and the transmission just went out big time. We are looking for a replacement. I am assuming any Cadillac Hydramatic from 59-62 will fit because those are all the same 390 blocks? I don't think 63 will work because I know they changed to block that year. Please correct me if I am wrong. We are trying to find all of the compatible Hydramatics to widen our search. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you

-Gavin   
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Dan LeBlanc

63 also works. It is the same transmission.

I have a 62 transmission in the shed. Too bad shipping from Canada would be the equivalent to murder
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Coupe Deville

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on September 26, 2014, 03:53:53 PM
I have a 62 transmission in the shed.

Thanks Dan. Yes shipping would be insulting. I'm going to post a thread in the WTB section. Just wanted to see what my options were.

Thanks again

-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Series75

Not really, check Greyhound, fast, efficient and low cost.   Tom CLC#6866

dplotkin

Gavin:

No good business case can be made for removing the presumably original and correct but inoperative transmission and substituting a similar transmission of unknown functionality or fluid-tightness. I would never put a "used" transmission in a car, too much work to take the risk. I would first rebuild it, at least re-seal it, and so then why wouldn't you simply do that with the transmission you have? If you split the case drag racing or something like that, well OK but otherwise...???

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Doug Scarrow

1959 and 60 transmissions will fit but you need the 59/60 starter as the 61 to 64 Jetaways have a starter drive end nose
  than has a machined support nose that is absent on the earlier starters so the bellhousing will not accept the later 61
to 64 starters. I first did this very swap 45 years ago.
Doug Scarrow

Ken Perry

I don't think the 59 trans will fit the tunnel,they are wider. Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

n2caddies

I would locate a reliable transmission shop and rebuild the original one. Parts should be available through Northwest Transmission and Fatsco.
Randy George
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

bill06447

I'm sure many "fit" but according to the Motor transmission manual I have, 62 Cad and 59-60 Olds S88 and 98 share the same, 61 and 64 Cad are the same, 63 Cad is unique, 61 and 64 series 75 are the same, 62 and 63 series 75 are the same (I'd surmise the differences being in calibration)

Bill