News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Stainless Steel buffing vendors

Started by ericdel, September 27, 2014, 02:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericdel

I'm looking for recommendations for a vendor to buff the stainless steel from my 1959 series 62.  Most pieces are in very good condition, I just haven't been able to bring out the pop in them.  I live in New York and would like to deliver the parts rather then ship them.  Thanks in advance for any help.
1959 Cadillac 6239

gary griffin

Have you tried a 1200 to 2000 grit sandpaper, sounds ugly but actually it will make your stainless really shine.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

cadillacmike68

Or that Bar Keepers friend stuff used for cleaning stainless pats & pans. It made my 35 year old pans look good again.

Then some Mothers chrome polish to protect it.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

gary griffin

Chrome and stainless are completely different.  Chrome plating is very thin and anything with the word polish in it has abrasives to get the shine. That will ultimately take all of the chrome away and the rust will begin.

Stainless is not a plating but all stainless steel.  It will never shine as much as chromium but it can come close. Depending on condition sand it with an 800 grit then a 1200 grit and then a 2000  grit and it will look almost as good as chrome but the shine will last as it is non corrosive and not just  a coating.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: ericdel on September 27, 2014, 02:32:48 PM
I'm looking for recommendations for a vendor to buff the stainless steel from my 1959 series 62.  Most pieces are in very good condition, I just haven't been able to bring out the pop in them.  I live in New York and would like to deliver the parts rather then ship them.  Thanks in advance for any help.
This subject has been extensivly discussed a couple years ago. I suggest a search. HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

INTMD8

Chrome has a different color than polished stainless. Hexavalent chrome has a bluish hue compared to a gold hue in stainless.  Many times its easy to spot this color difference on restored cars. Most noticeable around the rear stainless skirts as its a big part.

When I had the stainless for my Brougham restored I also had it flash chromed for color match.

cadillacmike68

Quote from: gary griffin on September 28, 2014, 09:12:41 PM
Chrome and stainless are completely different.  Chrome plating is very thin and anything with the word polish in it has abrasives to get the shine. That will ultimately take all of the chrome away and the rust will begin.

Stainless is not a plating but all stainless steel.  It will never shine as much as chromium but it can come close. Depending on condition sand it with an 800 grit then a 1200 grit and then a 2000  grit and it will look almost as good as chrome but the shine will last as it is non corrosive and not just  a coating.

You do know what is in stainless steel don't you? Chromium and Nickel. I use the Mothers chrome polish on the stainless to protect it. Mothers has polymers in it to take off some of the UV curse here. It's a very mild polish that hasn't worn down the chrome on my bumpers (yet).

Maybe the 50s and early 60s era had that yellowish tinge to their stainless but none of the stainless on my 68 has that hue. It depends on the amounts of other metals alloyed in with the iron.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

INTMD8

Mike, as far as I know all oem stainless was flash chromed for color match. Point I was trying to make is this can be stripped off if heavy restoration is needed.

No raw polished stainless will color match chrome

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: INTMD8 on September 28, 2014, 09:47:50 PM
Chrome has a different color than polished stainless. Hexavalent chrome has a bluish hue compared to a gold hue in stainless.  Many times its easy to spot this color difference on restored cars. Most noticeable around the rear stainless skirts as its a big part.

When I had the stainless for my Brougham restored I also had it flash chromed for color match.
Jim,
THANK YOU! You are absolutely correct.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Rob Troxel

I have a guy who does a masterful job restoring this as well as chrome: Best part is he is very fair priced.

Gary Schultz  815 626-5223  www.qualitychromeplating.com