News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Temp light sender for 472/500/425

Started by TJ Hopland, September 27, 2014, 06:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Was just doing some cleaning around my desk and found the receipt from the temp sender I put into my 73 before I installed the new AC compressor.    It was a Napa Echlin TS 6742.  Not sure what its intended for, I just found it doing some searching for a lower temp trip than the factory one, I may have originally found it at a place like Summit Racing.  Napa's info says it closes at 210.   Under typical conditions the light never comes on.   On a hot day it will kinda glow a bit on hot restart but goes out in a few seconds.    Once time on a hot day stopped in traffic with the AC on it also started to glow.    Guessing based on gauge readings that its glowing in the 220 range.   It was not what I was expecting but I am happy with the way its working out, it seems to give you a hint that its getting hot before the factory sender did.

Figured I would share for those that would like a more info than the factory setup but don't really want to install a gauge.   The physical size is almost identical to the original sensor, not sure about the terminal, some sites show the original having a screw, this one has a quick connect tab. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

Most of those senders have a tab. Easier to connect / disconnect. Getting one with a lower threshold like you did helps you to monitor things better.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

TJ,
Just for conversations sake, for1973 the factory "water temperature" sensor is designed to close at 270 degrees F, which they (designing engineers) thought was a safe limit.  The metal temperature sensors were designed to close at 320 degrees. 
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-