News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 Fleetwood pitman shaft seal leak FIXED!

Started by dplotkin, September 27, 2014, 08:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dplotkin

I can happily report that the Pittman shaft seals on 56 models can indeed be replaced on the car without steering box removal and that the whole job can be done in a couple hours taking your time, so long as you have access to a lift. I should also thank Jose Gomez whose 2007 post provided a SKF part number (12392) for the seals, 2 washers and a spring clip. In my case as in others i've read in the archives I used only the new pressure seal. The second seal, essentially a dust seal, when used with the two washers as prescribed stacks too high to get the clip on. So, like an archive poster experienced we reused the old leather dust seal. Seems dry as a bone, hopefully it will stay that way.

As unique as the 56 Saginaw box is, the pressure seal is a run of the mill item used on all kinds of motor vehicles including the 1985 Ford pickups. Go figure.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

J. Gomez

Dan,

Glad the information was helpful and that you were able to get the gear back in action.

Now that your project is done, I need to tag you for my next big one; I’ll supply the pizza and drinks..!   ;D
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

dplotkin

Any time. Your research saved me some time but not money unfortunately as I had bought & opened the nonreturnable rebuild package from Cadillac Parts LTD before I found your post. Oh well, another $170 in parts for my shelf.

Thanks again.

Dan
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Charlie CLC#18187

Dan-
I just discovered that my Coupe deVille Pitman shaft seal is leaking rather profusely.  I was going to post, then I saw yours, so I will follow your lead.  I plan to take the car to Hershey for HPOF, but won't have time to fix before then so will take PS fluid. 

In case you and Jose missed by post a few weeks ago, I did the two fixes for trans vibration, and it cured it.  Did you do the Fleetwood yet? 

Jose is THE MAN.   

Charlie
1956 Coupe de Ville

dplotkin

No but its on my list to do when I change her oil for the season in a couple weeks. I look for you at Hershey.

Dan
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
68 Chrysler New Yorker

J. Gomez

Quote from: Charlie CLC#18187 on October 03, 2014, 10:07:22 PM

Jose is THE MAN.   

Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks for the compliment..! I’m just returning the favor I received and helping other folks the best I can.  ;)

Have a great touring time my friend...!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082