News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Winter storage question

Started by dst2680, September 28, 2014, 10:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dst2680

I live in New York State, and am storing my 1975 Coupe deVille for the approaching winter months. The car will be stored in a dry and unheated garage. I have scoured the internet for ways to keep pests out of the car over the winter, such as mice and chipmunks, and I am overwhelmed by the conflicting information out there. So I am turning to this forum for direction on what members have found to work. I put mothballs around the car last week, however I was then told this is not effective either. The garage is in excellent condition, however I am sure that there is a crack or two somewhere that a mouse could find it's way in through. So what is the best way to keep my pride and joy safe? Any information is greatly appreciated!
-Dave

INTMD8

I stored 2 of my cars in an unheated pole barn last year. I put dryer sheets around everything under the hood, in the interior and in the tailpipes as I've read that this is a good deterrent.

Not sure if it was just coincidence but I had no rodent issues and the cars (well trucks actually) smelled great when I picked them up in the spring :)

Jeff Wilk

Keep in mind that its not only inside the car which is a target but also every nook and cranny under the hood including into the air cleaner.  Trust me on this one!!!!!!

Since the destink and repairs were done I've been using the dryer sheets and they have worked flawlessly and yes the car does smell great afterwards.  Don't be stingy with them either.  lay them everywhere and stuff them into the tailpipes, the aircleaner, on top of your tires, and don't forget each of the holdes on the frame rails!!  the mice LOVE living inside the frame rails.......Trust me again.....
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I have a rented 10X20 storage unit for where I keep a car for extended periods. I have 16 mouse traps in the unit which I keep baited with peanut butter. I only catch one or two per season, but I don't believe in taking chances.

I use a mouse repellant called "Fresh Cab" inside the car. So far, touch wood, I have had no mouse damage.

Even without rust holes, these little vermin can get inside a car. It is best to be careful.

jaxops

I would recommend mothballs thrown under the car and in each corner of the garage.  That and dessicant in the car, trunk, and glovebox. 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

TJ Hopland

Dryer sheets have worked well for me and others I have talked to.    My current storage place has cats which I bet also helps.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Martin Michaels

Dryer sheets work how ever go one more step and block off the tail pipe.These little devils never give up,if they get into the exhaust pipe you will have a cylinder used as a root cellar and another as a head,be safe and block it off.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Gene Beaird

The little 4-legged monsters are definitely insidious.   The dryer sheets may do the trick, and the step I'd recommend may negate their effectiveness, but I'd go one step further and raise the hood.  Rodents seem to have a love for hood insulation. I've had the buggers get into the hood insulation of three of our vehicles.  And yeah, momma mouse died after pooping out the little kiddies in the insulation on our Calais, so we came into the shop smelling the familiar smell.  I finally discovered the nest after the smell didn't go away after removing mom.  So the hoods on all our cars with insulation is left up.  That keeps them out. 

I've tried the mothballs around the perimeter of the shop, the 'Mouse Magic' etc., so I may have a go at dryer sheets.  The smell of the things gives me a headache, so I can only hope it does the same for rodents.

Any particular brand/scent that's better than others? 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Coupe

A collector of Model T's shared his fool proof method with me. He was tired of all the damage the buggers can do over the course of a Minnesota winter so he started doing this every fall. Jack up the car and take all 4 tires off. Support the car on jack stands sitting in oil drain pans. Put about an inch of waste oil in each pan. Mice will not try to swim thru the oil.

Personally I use Fresh Cab, Bounce dryer sheets and a couple dozen traps scattered around the garage. In addition I make sure the seals at the bottom of the overhead doors are in good shape. Plugging the exhaust and air cleaner is good insurance if the other methods fail.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Coupe Deville

Mouse traps with peanut butter works great. This was already mentioned but do plug the exhaust pipe and the air cleaner. Jeff is right. They will get in there if you don't! They also like hood insulation as Gene said. When my CDV sat for 20 years it hat rats living in it. Once I was the owner it didn't have rats ever again after these precautions. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a sign or piece of paper inside the car to not forget about the plugged exhaust or intake or what ever you plugged up before you start the car again.

Best of luck.

-Gavin 
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

TJ Hopland

A slight downside to any sort of bait is that it will attract them.   Depending on how many there are a couple traps may not help much. 

I like the jack stand motor oil idea.   Kinda a pain to set up but then again so is repairing damage and smelling piss.   May be a little more difficult with a bigger heavier car especially finding some sort of a pan that can take the weight of the stand without damage.  I suppose you could do some thinker steel plates in the pans to distribute the stands weight?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Martin Michaels

If you do not have any household pets in your shop then put down little dishes of anti freeze around they love it it kills, them just make sure that any thing you like cannot get at it.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I am not a believer in poisoning the little vermin. Once they drink their last, they are liable to curl up in your car to die.

At least if you trap them, they can be discarded.

By the way, glue traps are not a good choice in an unheated space. When it gets cold, they lose their stickiness.

Gene Beaird

Quote from: Alan Harris CLC#1513 on October 01, 2014, 12:01:02 AM
I am not a believer in poisoning the little vermin. Once they drink their last, they are liable to curl up in your car to die.

At least if you trap them, they can be discarded.

By the way, glue traps are not a good choice in an unheated space. When it gets cold, they lose their stickiness.

Indeed.  The bait manufacturers state that the tainted rodent will go outside in search of water, but I've found three dead ones on/by our cars over the years due to bait.  I keep the bait out, though, as well as packets of Mouse Magic and moth balls on both sides of each door (it's nearly impossible to totally-seal up doors in steel buildings).  I'll try this Bounce method this year. 

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Gene Beaird

Quote from: Coupe Deville on September 30, 2014, 12:04:53 PM
<SNIP>Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a sign or piece of paper inside the car to not forget about the plugged exhaust or intake or what ever you plugged up before you start the car again.

Best of luck.

-Gavin

I have 'Remove Before Flight' banners clipped to a carabiner for that:

http://aeroconsystems.com/cart/remove-before-flight-flags/

^^like these.

Clip them to the wheel, and you're reminded that there's something that has to be done before starting/moving the vehicle. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Rob Bruining CLC 12428

I stuff  the tail pipe and air cleaner intake with an oily rag. I slip a plastic bag and rubber band over each. I've been using a bar of Irish Spring in the trunk and cabin. I also put a container of Damp Rid (keeps the chrome from corroding) in both.  A few containers of d-con go in the unheated garage. I pump the tires up to 40 lbs. to deter developing flat spots. Don't forget the gas stabilizer in your full tank of gas. I've been storing cars for 30+ years. Try to crank the engine before letting it start in the spring to build up some oil pressure. It saves a lot of engine wear.

INTMD8

I have a trap made out of a 5 gallon bucket. A little peanut butter on an old plastic bottle and a few inches of water in the bucket. Only got one so far but the trap is a cheap repeater

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

dst2680

Thank you for all of the ideas!