News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 or 77 Cadillac Eldorado Mirage vin plate number not known?

Started by Buzz61, September 29, 2014, 11:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz61

Can anyone tell me about the vin number on a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado Mirage pick up the vin plate is not coming up at the DMV nor online. .....Help im trying to buy this car from a salvage yard and its not showing up on their records as a 76 but as a 70?.........but it is definately an Eldorado of 76 or 77 vintage and they cannot sell the car until this is cleared up....the vin starts off with SW 7S EL 47 FWDQD.....then the sequence number bdy.....

936CD69

The VIN number on a 76 or 77 would be on a plate visible looking thru the left lower corner of the windshield, NOT on the body plate
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Buzz,
All "real" Mirage pick up conversions were done on either a 1975 or 1976 Coupe DeVille.  They came directly from the factory and went to the converting coach works through the dealer prior to sale.  There have been numerious "one-off" conversions but the true mirages were as stated.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Buzz61

Thanks guy's i did in fact out it is a 1975 but the vin tags are missing and the only number i was able to find  are st756el47fwdoo3732......and this number from the upper top rear on the block...650407459 there are no numbers on the chassis and still nothing else comes up without a vin they cannot sell this rare car......so if you guys can help me fi d something to go on this car is headed for the crusher........

Buzz61

Could this be a Comstock.....it is an Eldorado body and the serial number shows it as a 1975 Eldorado ( EL) .?
Now the salvage yard told.me the car was abandoned when the police towed it in and was possibly stolen some years ago and that's why the vin tags are missing and is being retagged on another stolen car......

It has excellent coach work and the panels have very little surface rust indicating this car has been stored somewhere after all this is Michigan lots of rain and salt/snow.....So please help me to save this car......thanks guy's

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Buzz,
Welcome to the Cowboy Cadillac Club.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Buzz61

Sweet car I sold my 1979 Western Saddle Edition #18 (the goodfellas model) and now the guy i sold it to put some time and tlc and is selling it on utube for 15.000 grand.......i do however have my eye on a 64 deville and negotiating with the owner......it needs a lot of work but the body is pretty straight and it runs pretty good.....but the 77 through 79  Phaeton and the Le Cabriolet body styles are my favorites. .......

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Buzz,
We're TRYING to help you. QUIT  looking at the body data plate! The VIN for that car is on the LH dash visable thru the W/S. Is it there, or is it not?
It is very hard to remove that plate without pulling the W/S. Most thieves don't do it. Can you get your DMV to issue a new VIN if necessary?  Advise.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Me thinks you are not reading the codes correctly.   Engine code should  read:  S5Q407459    where S= 500 cubic inch, 5=1975 and Q= Eldorado       Your body plate  reads   ST75= Style 1975  6EL47=  Eldorado Coupe            Therefore full VIN to Lookup at Department of Motor vehicles should be 6L47S5Q407459            Tim Pawl CLC #4383

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

That is correct they drop the E    and just use:    6L47S5Q407459          Tim Pawl CLC#4383 

Buzz61

Thanks i have the first six digits its the last 7 digits i dont have...i have tried using those digits starting with the 6 and ending with the 407459 but nothing comes up....also there is no vin plate it was ripped off the dash and also the tag on the enigine is also missing....so i have no vin plate or stampings on the frame.....from what i read there are only 13 digits on the Eldorado vin plate...not 17......but thanks for helping....

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

If those #'s don't come up... it means they are out of the systems. Did you get the cops to run the VIN or are you trying to do it on line?  Get them to run a national stolen car search. Give them the #'s Tim suggested. Don't start giving them body plate #'s.  As I mentioned before, can the authorities in your state assign a new VIN to the car? There's lots of ways to handle this situation. It all depends on how much effort you are willing to devote. There may?? be hidden frame #'s known only to law enforcement.
Bob

Buzz61

Thanks guy's i have already contacted local enforcement and they are checking into it....thanks agsin for everyones help......

Buzz61

Update.......The 1975 Cadillac Eldorado pick up found at an auto salvage yard here in Detroit, that police reported as a 1970 Cadillac abandoned with the wrong serial numbers....They found the serial number and is being checked out as possible stolen 1975 Cadillac Eldorado Comstock, and they are searching nationwide for the possible owner. So i was informed that the car cannot be sold without a vin tag.....It doesnt sound right to me but the officer i spoke to and the person at the DMV both said they cannot issue a title without a vin tag on the car.......I know it sounds crazy but i explained if you have the correct serial number then another tag could be issued.......Now the salvage yard people refuse to talk to me regarding this car and i just have to sit back and wait and see what comes up in their data bank.
This has been a good lesson learned......Thanks guy's for all your help

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I've had these situations here in Ca. You say they found the VIN. Where was it? Did they tell you the #?  Does Michigan allow the authorities to issue a new VIN if the vehicle is not stolen? Advise.
Bob

Buzz61

I will have to wait for the Detroit police to let me know what i can do about this car, but at the moment or until they find the last owner.....i cant do a thing but wait.....

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Buzz    , Have them run the number exactly as I gave it to you.  The engine block number is the last portion of the VIN       You misread the engine number   it has to be S5Q407459   and therefore complete VIN would be 6L47s5Q407459

Tim Pawl CLC #4383

Buzz61

Yes Tim Thank you....I gave them that number.....but the other problem that needs to be cleared up is the police towing company wrote it up as an abandoned 1970 Cadillac,  so the salvage yard listed it as a 1970 Cadillac so the paperwork was wrong from the beginning.......but if the car turns out to be stolen maybe the last owner will get his car back although missing some peices......and that would make me happy that it was saved from the crusher...

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Buzz,
This is very dangerous & slippery slope. I can think of many scenarios. Some are not pretty. I've been thru many situations like this, but in Ca. I don't know Mi. law. The questions I ask you are very important in helping you. I'd appreciate an answer or if you don't know, tell me you'll find out. I'd like to see the car saved &  I assume you want to save it. If I was close I'd come over, look at the car, buy you a drink & we'd come up with a game plan. Just remember... the police & the DMV will take the easiest way out. Your thoughts?
Bob

Buzz61

Hey Bob while i can appreciate the help it's out of my hands now, i was told flat out by the salvage yard they will not sell me the car, so i will let the Detroit Police department try to find the last owner,Michigan law states that any owner of an abandoned vehicle is responsible for all towing and storage fees, now if the car was stolen and stripped, as i suspect it was because the vin plate is missing then the car can be surrendered to the scrap yard and the car may go to auction, but regardless of the situation people are still coming in and buying parts off this car so there may be nothing left but a shell by the time all is said and done.   

So Bob since there is no chance in hell to get this car i can only hope the last owner will be glad to have it back.
Should they find him, and let it go at that.......and i'll move on.