News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Convertible top boot 1968 DeVille

Started by cadillacmike68, September 30, 2014, 10:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

I need a new top boot for my 1968. Any recommendations of where to get one, or who does a good job at making new ones? Thanks.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

Mike,

I would get one on e-bay that you are so sure is for a 1968 (67 probably is same, but cannot be sure).  If it is in great shape the color can be changed.  If not a local upholstery shop can make you a nice duplicate from the pattern (after trying on to make sure it fits and adjusting a required).  USA Parts sells them also on page 3 of their catalog.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillacmike68

Scot,

According to several sites, 1965-68 are all the same boot size. I don't want to be coloring it, so I'll need to find a dark blue one.

I also looked (via google) and found several places selling them from $150 through approx $250.

Color match might be an issue. Cadillac calls my interior (# 366) Dark Blue, but these top companies have Lt Blue, Med Blue and Navy Blue... Lt Blue is out, Med blue looks too light (but not in 2 online samples???) and Navy Blue looks too dark?????

I'll give the places a call. Perhaps too dark is better than too light since the sun here will start fading it immediately.

I also need to make sure I get the Velcro style not the slider style.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

Mike,

it is big pain to install the boot.  I never use mine except for GN, jut to show that it is present.  If you are buying it for daily use, it may not be worth it.

John Abend

I think I have a good used dark blue boot for a 67-68.  Probably just needs a good washing from storage.  I'll check for it tomorrow if you still need one.

John Abend

'68 Sedan deVille Hardtop
'74 Eldorado Convertible
'87 Allante Convertible
'15 XTS Platinum VSport

cadillacmike68

Scot, the ones with the velcro strip go on easy. I have that style. I like having it, it keeps the inside of the top from getting faded. Only PITA is in a sudden downpour, but then again, the velcro strip style cones off easily.

John, I ordered one from rock auto. They supposedly have the shortest turn around time and were the least expensive as well.

And from the part #s everyone is using, most are acme headliner co. boots.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

Mike, keep us posted on Rock Auto, would not have occurred to me.  The inside of my top I black and never considered that it could get faded, but guess it could.  Has to be replaced every 5 - 6 years anyway from frequent use.

cadillacmike68

Scot, I'll let you know as soon as it gets in.

It also helps protect the front header seal & side rails from getting baked. They have about 10 colors and both styles; Velcro and slider groove.

There were many other sellers, most sold the Acme top, but Original Parts sold a different mfr and there was at least one other mfr in the ones I saw. They all mentioned Madrid vinyl pattern (the correct style for 65-68), some other years used the Seville pattern. They're similar but not identical.

None of those mfrs sell direct retail, and unless its a black or white boot, most are made to order.  That said, RockAuto was the least expensive and promised a shorter production lead time.  We'll see.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Well, it got here.  Quite quickly, as i was expecting late next week, and everyone else was quoting 2-3 weeks to have one made and shipped.

Now for the good, the bad & the ugly:

Good:
Fit is pretty good. Only one snap seemed way to tight (alignment, not the snap itself) so I enlarged its mounting hole a bit with a razor edge. It was the passenger side at the center most part of where it curves.

Color is right on. I chose Navy Blue, they had Lt, Med or Navy blue. Now a Navy Uniform in blue is 1% off of black, but everyone else has it as a dark blue so good there.

The other part of the Velcro (the loop side) came with it!!! Now I only have to figure out how to get it affixed. I think taking the rear seat out will allow me to get that nylon bead secured.

The bad:
The two snaps along the ends of the Velcro strip of the boot are not where my snaps are. BUT. I seem to remember having to move those two snaps when I first fitted to old boot, so maybe no issue. I have to get the old Velcro strip off to see if I have holes available to screw the snaps in where they are needed.

The pattern is not a perfect match. It's kind of close, but not quite.

Overall, not bad for $147.95 plus shipping (reg shipping is lass than $10, but I had it expressed because I wanted it before next weekend), and Rock auto told me that they don't have the usual 2-3 week OST on these. I ordered it on 1 Oct and it was delivered on the 6th. Maybe they have an expedite agreement with Acme.

Overall pretty good, especially for the price, and quick turn around time.

I'll put up some pictures tomorrow, if it's decent out.

Now the car will look proper again and the inside of the top & the header and side seals won't get baked anymore.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

Mike,

So this will able to be used, so with some work by you it is OK.  That is fairly typical of the reproduction market on this type of product.

On the baking of exposed underside of top and rubber seals.  That is not a concern generally because the interior seats and all get baked too, and those are less durable than the metal rails, seal and underside of top.  My car has enjoyed 30k miles of top down driving on seals and all with no issues, still seem new.  Plus at car shows top is usually down all day in hot sun.  Roughly this might be equal to 1,000 hour in sun.

I'm pleasantly impressed with Rock Auto.

cadillacmike68

Scot, No work needed by me at all, if i want to keep the old soft velcro strip on the car (besides moving the two snaps - see below).

However, it came with a nice, new soft velcro strip, which had the right color backing and an anchor bead, and I want to install it. The old loop side velcro is always the first to wear out anyway, so it should be replaced.

I need to take the back seat out anyway to dye it and clean up underneath, etc. I'll post an update later.

HHHmmmmmm.....

Today those two snaps lined up perfectly.  :o

The instructions did say to let it get warmed up (in the sun!) to stretch it into place. I'm still taking the seat off.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

I just adhered the new soft Velcro strip over the top well lining edge where it sits on the brace. I punched the holes for the 8 screws (including 2 snap screws) and just screwed the new piece in place where the strip was. I also used matching screws -there were 7 different type of screws holding that edge down before.

Things got a little messy with the adhesive, but i got it cleaned up. It looks pretty much the same, but the Velcro is now new on both sides. It won't fly off the car on the interstate now.  :P

Dyeing the seat - now that's what I call messy. Blue dyes have this bronze effect when they dry requiring lots of rubbing with lotion to get that off. Of course that also takes off a lot of the excess dye - I used up 3 small and 1 medium towels doing that and I still wouldn't wear light colored clothes in the back  seat for the next few weeks.

Some dumba$$ mickey moused my rear speaker ground wire so I fixed that, and I washed the seat belts, the left side ones were soaked in hydraulic oil from the top hoses leaking a couple years ago. I cleaned up that mess too. They are the original belts and most have their original labels on them. Tomorrow, when they are dry, the seat bottom can go back in.  It's a lot easier taking the seats out & putting them back in in a convertible with the top down.

While I'm cleaning things up, I'll try getting the old varnish off the wood panels and re-staining them.

The seat still needs replacing soon however. The foam cushion is dried out and crumbling so that I get little yellow crumbs on the back sear floor whenever anyone sits there. And, even after dyeing, it still has all those cracks, so maybe around Thanksgiving...

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Matt 12861

Thanks for sharing this info, I also need a boot for my '68.
Matt Givler #12861

cadillacmike68

I don't think you can go wrong with one from RockAuto. Is your Velcro or the slide strip?
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Matt 12861

It looks like the slide.  I am also planning the disk brake swap this winter discussed on a previous post.  I would like to get it going by spring.  It has 143K on it and hasn't been started in 7-8 years.
Matt Givler #12861

cadillacmike68

I took some pictures and will post them when i can get them off my phone.

I also got all that 46 year old varnish off the wood and it looks GREAT. I'll post those two (under a different posting).
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Matt 12861

I was just getting ready to order this (it took awhile), and besides the Velcro or slider option, it lists 26 snaps or 28 snaps.  I have 22 snaps on the outside trim piece, 4 snaps on the inside corners and 10 snaps along the back seat-no Velcro or slide strip (unless I don't see the right thing).  Would you guess the 26 snaps would be the outside ones and the inside ones on the corner (26 total) and for some reason I have snaps on the back seat??  Any ideas?
Thanks,
Matt Givler
Matt Givler #12861