News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

55 Fleetwood, lots of side to side play in steering wheel?

Started by bullit, October 01, 2014, 11:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullit

Is there a adjustment for this on the steering box?  Manual on the way but it's bugging me!  Just bought the car and have lots of questions coming.  ;D

dplotkin

With this problem it is critical that you verify that all components of the steering system are in good, tight shape, tie rod ends, drag link, etc. The steering box has an adjustment, but a steering box does not fall out of adjustment so much as it wears and then requires rebuilding which may be the case in yours. Tampering with the adjustment often has the effect of tightening the box up so that the wheels don't return to center properly. Consult the manual, but i think you are looking at refreshing the box unless you find linkage issues, which are easier to fix.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Caddy Wizard

Most common source of excessive play on a 55 is wear in the center link, which is easily fixed by adjusting the center link.  Get the shop manual and follow the instructions in it for adjusting the center link.  Then see how much play you have after that.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Don't forget that when adjusting the Sector Shaft, there should be minimal play when straight ahead, but play as one turns the wheel from side to side.

I worked on a '69 CDV where the slack had been taken up that much that the sector shaft was marked badly because of excess pressure on the teeth.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Smedly

You also need to consider, what are you used to driving. If you normally drive a NEW car and just bought the 55 the steering is going to seem like it has lots of play.  I agree with the others check all components for slop, don't mess with the box.
Sheldon Hay
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

bullit

Upon digging further into this it seems I don't have the original stock center link. Mine is not adjustable.  I did notice lots of play in the end at the pitman rod joint.  Anyone know what center link this could be and if the joint is rebuildable?

Caddy Wizard

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

bullit

The center link looks like this one. http://www.kanter.com//catalog/productdetail.aspx?Tg=&Mak=Cadillac&Yr=1955&Dv=1&Dpt=1600&Sb=0&Vdr=&Itm=&MDv=1&MDpt=0&MSb=0&Cat=14&Prc=103#

J. Gomez

David,

:o interesting that is a solid steering linkage..!

I would take that both pitman and idler arms would be different from the OEM?

Was there a modification made to the front end or the steering?

The OEM setup would look like the attached picture. 
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Caddy Wizard

And as you can see in the illustration that Jose posted, the center link on a 55 is fully adjustable.  Generally speaking, one simply removes the cotter pin from the end, screws in the outer "cup" or nut, and replaces the cotter pin.  Both ends should be done.  It is a very easy job, although I would strongly suggest following the procedure laid out in the Shop Manual for precisely how to adjust it.
Art Gardner

bullit

Well here is what is actually under my car. No adjustments I can see? That joint in the picture is what has lots of play. Can anyone identify the center link ?

The Tassie Devil(le)

The part you are showing in the foreground is the Pitman Arm.

Where is the "play" in this joint?

The Idler Arm is on the other side of the car, and "mimics" the Pitman Arm.

If this can move up and down, then it is worn out.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

bullit

The joint at the pitman arm and center link has movement,  not up and down though,  side to side which is what I believe is my source of steering play? Is the link on the end of the center link rebuildable? Or do I have to just replace the entire center link since it's not the original which is rebuildable?

Roger Zimmermann

That linkage is not correct for your car. Somme suppliers are rebuilding those links if you want to keep that system. However, if I were at your place, I would search the set up J. Gomez published.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

J. Gomez

David,

That is an interesting layout it seems the previous owner made modification to the original steering setup.  :o

If possible could you post additional pictures of the complete setup? Maybe someone could identify the year and/or model for that modification.

As others have mention the OEM was adjustable as shown on the above attachment, in yours it is a solid setup with no adjustment. It seems to work fine except for the symptoms you are describing, so for you to tackle the rebuilding or recondition of the part(s), you would need to know what model/year first.  ???

Just my 2 cents..!

Good luck.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

bullit

More pictures.

J. Gomez

David,

I’m going to take a wild guess and say that your setup maybe from an early sixty to mid sixty.  :-\

You can see on this diagram that yours look similar to the ’61-’65 -> http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Shop_Manuals_and_Illus_Catalogs/Master%20Parts%20List%20thru%201964/Group%206/tn/Group%206%20-%207.jpg.html

Maybe someone with the same year range could confirmed it and provide tips on replacement or rebuilding.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

bullit

i spoke with the previous owner and he said the steering column is out of a 70s Cadillac, he wasnt sure about the rest of  the steering though. it was like that when he bought it. i wonder if the drag link, pitman arm, tie rods and box are out of the same 70s car? i know my power steering pump is NOT like a 1955 one at all. none of the steering components look like a 55.

The Tassie Devil(le)

One question I have to ask is how are the tyres wearing?

And another question, is there any Bump-steer?

Hopefully, when everything was changed over, the correct steering geometry was retained.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

J. Gomez

David,

Well at least you know what year(s) you are dealing with now so it should be a bit easier in locating the parts you need.

The same layout does extends up to the early ’70 per the MPL -> http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/documents/Shop_Manuals_and_Illus_Catalogs/Parts%20Illus%20Catalog%20thru%201970/Group%206/tn/Group%206%20-%207.jpg.html

On the next page shows the P/S pump and the steering gear so you can compare yours and validate the year.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082