News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

blew out a freeze plug 1929 341, where and what style should I get?

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, October 05, 2014, 05:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I took the Roadster out and blew out a freeze plug, front passenger side.

The hole measures 1-7/8" that's 1.875"

Napa has one in steel that's slightly smaller at 1.850" with a shallow cup style.  will this work?

Where and what style brass one should I get?

The rubber style looks easy to work with but what size should I get?

Thanks,   Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

31caddy

Sorry I don't have any part numbers,  but I replaced one not long ago on a '36 Chrysler and I found what I needed at NAPA. They had to dig to find it. I believe you need the same type that I was working with from looking at your picture. It is not the typical cup type at all, but rather a shallow dish shape like a contact lens. It is installed by putting a little sealant on the dished side and placing that side up against the block. It is then struck sharply with a hammer or drift once or twice right in the middle of the outward facing convex side. This flattens it/increases the diameter enough to lock it in  place, and it appears flat when installed. It costs like 75 cents.
I hope that I am not steering you wrong, but it looks like the same type situation - just a lip around the hole. I had the advantage that mine was just leaking and I had what was left of the old one that I knocked out.
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks R,

Do you remember if the contact lens type fit into the hole easily and then it sealed tight with the hammer blow?

Today I tried the cup type and it didn't fit in the hole right and then I tried to tap it in........well it didn't work and a real mess ensued.

Thanks, Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Classic

Dorman has a 1-7/8" steel one available, part #550-027.  Should be available through most any auto parts store.  NAPA has a steel one part # SEP 3811020.
A brass one is available from http://www.greatlakesvacuum.com/1-7-8-brass-expansion-plug.html.  Carquest also has a brass one Clevite # 219-6020.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

sly37

If that is the convex style plug two ball peen hammers work best. You do need swing room. If I don't have enough room too swing I use the rubber ones. They work good just not for show.

D schroeder

31caddy

Gene did all the work for you! The plug ( referred to as an expansion plug) should fit generally by hand, but snugly, maybe just a slight tap will make it "stick" in the opening. Don't go crazy with sealant - just a thin bead around the lip in the block. You don't want a big buildup between the plug and the lip. The idea is that when you wack the plug and flatten it, the sealant squeezes out and seals around the outer circumference of the plug. Common sense prevails on the one or 2 blows required - flatten out the plug enough to tighten it up good, but obviously don't hit it so hard that you break the lip in the block. A proper sized drift or the proper size 1/2 inch drive socket in about a six inch extension  that covers just the center concave portion is what you need to strike. You are trying to make that concave shape go flat, so obviously you want to strike on center using a tool of a smaller diameter than the plug. I hope it's in a place where you can get a tool on it to strike. 
As Sly said, 2 ball peens would be perfect.
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks Guys!

You guys made getting the right part & how to install it a real breeze.

I realize now that a lot can be done with two ball peen hammers!

All went well and the car is running really well.

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon