News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'54 oil pan removale

Started by timer2, October 05, 2014, 06:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timer2

I have my '54 on jack stands to remove the oil pan to get the old busted off dipstick tube out and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get at the front two stud nuts...the rest are a piece of cake but those front two seem impossible. My only thought is to remove the radiator to get at them- any one have a trick to getting those two off? I can see the stud protruding on the generator side but under the other side, I can't even feel the nut (or stud). all suggestions are welcome.  T. Irvin

Roger Zimmermann

Are the front motor supports collapsed? As you can see from my signature, I have '56 & '57 cars; the oil pan removal procedure is identical to yours. The front nuts are not easy to get at, with small tools they can be removed and install again from under. No need to remove the radiator.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

timer2

It's hard to tell if the supports are bent...the mounts look fine and I had no strange vibrations. the only way to tell is probably measure the distance from the bottom of the pan to where the heater hose crosses over to the second heater core. There's a clip at the bottom frame member that holds the hose in place. This may be unique to only 1954 & 55 as there are two Ranco valves on the firewall but the frame members should be the same. I'll be measuring mine this morning.   T. Irvin

walt chomosh #23510

timer,
  I made an adapting tool for removal of the front pan nuts that are hard to get on. One might consider jacking the motor up some,but a "special tool" worked for me....walt...tulsa,ok

Caddy Wizard

1/4" drive extension, 1/4" U-joint, 1/2" socket (1/4" drive, of course).  The delicacy of the 1/4" drive tools comes in very handy for this job.  The thickness of the 3/8" drive tools gets in the way...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

timer2

Thanks- I went and bought a 1/4 swivel and I was able to get them off without a problem but the crossover heater hose does not leave a lot of room for removal- I may take it loose and pull it down an inch or two when I put the pan back on. Art-are you the guy that sells the heat riser blanks? Mine works but is cracked and there's no time like the present to replace it. also, my pickup tube is without the felt washer I read about on this forum- does anyone make something that fits?   

Caddy Wizard

I was making and selling these exhaust spacers for the past several years.  But I was just doing it as a service to the hobby and it is not my business.  So I turned my inventory over to a regular vendor -- Fusick Automotive in New England.  You should be able to buy one from them...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

timer2

I got everything back together and nothing leaks...getting those front nuts on the studs takes a lot of patients. Art, I called Fusik up about the heat riser blank and the gentleman said he knew nothing about a blank or that they had acquired any from anyone. Is there another source for this? Thanks again   T. Irvin