News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fire Destroys Cadillac Collection Today!

Started by fatman23, October 08, 2014, 04:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatman23

my friend leonard johnson lost around 30 classic caddys today from a explosion! no one hurt! but the garage and most of the cars were a big loss!!

location erie,colorado

Walter Youshock

Oh! The humanity!   What year cadillacs were lost in the carnage?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

76eldo

That's a terrible thing. What caused it?

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

fatman23

they dont know there was a empty trailor outside of the garage they are thinking maybe a gas leak?
caddys loss-

1957 restored cadillac eldorado seville
1959 cadillac coupe deville
1960 cadillac coupe deville
1955 cadillac eldorado convertible
many,many more!!!

okccadman

Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

R Schroeder

Sorry to hear that. I feel bad for the guy. Nobody wants this type of accident.
Roy

chrisntam

Fire is a horrible thing.  Didn't Reggie Jackson lose a bunch of his cars the same way?  I hope they were insured, for his sake.

Bummer.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

fatman23

I DID SPEAK WITH LEONARD ALL CARS WERE INSURED, LOST ALL CARS EXCEPT 7 BUT  THEY ARE SMOKED DAMAGED.
HE HAD ALMOST 70 CADILLACS IN THERE.. HE HAD A COUPLE OF 55,57 ELDORADOS ALL RESTORED AND THEY ARE GONE..

57eldoking

1957 Eldorado Biarritz #906
1957 Eldorado Biarritz #1020 http://bit.ly/1kTvFlM
1957 Eldorado Seville  #1777 http://bit.ly/1T3Uo1c
1995 Fleetwood Brougham  http://bit.ly/20YwJV4
2010 SRX Performance

1946 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
1957 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon (x2)
1960 Chevy Apache 10 Stepside
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (x2)
1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT

M. Bankes

That's horrible news, Leonard is a great guy, I feel sick hearing about this.

C.R. Patton II

Hello

Leonard Johnson is a nice guy.  I'm glad HE wasn't hurt.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

cadillacmike68

This is terrible. I'm glad Lenard wasn't hurt. He didn't have a sprinkler or other fire suppression system in there? With that many cars I'd have a sprinkler and a halon system in the building.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

fatman23

THIS MOST LIKELY WAS A GAS EXPLOSION AND NOT EVEN SPRINKLERS COULD STOP THAT, ALSO ANSWERING YOUR QUESTION THERE WERE NO SPRINKLERS IN HIS GARAGE.

Art Director

Leonard Johnson is a good friend of mine and we in the Rocky Mountain Region are really hurting for him. He's been our treasurer for many years and generously hosted a barbecue in July for RMRCLC members to come visit his collection. Turns out that barbecue was the last time we saw many of his beautiful cars. Much of his collection was finned Cadillacs, from 1955 through 1964. He also collected a few other makes such as a 1963 Buick Wildcat and some other rare cars.

On the local TV news, he said he would continue to collect classic cars "about 10 to 15 more years" and was quite optimistic.

Leonard helped me out when my 1963 Sedan de Ville suffered an engine fire in 2008 and I for one plan to help him get back on his feet. That's what the CLC family does for each other.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Belgium1958owner

I had seen on a video reportage (that I didn't find again), I also had a 1958 Eldorado Seville ...
1958 Eldorado Seville, body 481
1956 Eldorado Seville, body 1968
1958 Eldorado Seville, body 612 (parts car)
Member of : 1958 Cadillac Owner Association
CLC # 29119
1956 Packard Four Hundred Coupe, body 3002
1956 Packard Caribbean hardtop, body 81

gary griffin

Mile,  A halon system is impractical in such a large building. Halon systems are based on immediately creating an inflammable atmosphere  which is also inhabitable by humans, and then evacuating the halon immediately before it can kill the human inhabitants.  It is primarily for engine rooms, generator stations, computer rooms and other small spaces where the deadly air can be removed quickly or no humans are present. A space that would hold that many cars would probably contain more than 100,000 cubic feet of air to remove before someone dies. Almost anything that kills fire also kills humans
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Renato

R. Bognar

N Kahn

bcroe

That is a shame; at least no one hurt.  We had a similar fire down my country block; 50' X 100'
jam packed with WWII vehicles under restoration.  And some more stuff parked outside.  I have
a lot of pictures that look just the same as those. 

I have a couple things I do to reduce possible losses like that.  There are 6 cars, and they get
parked in 3 different buildings.  I worry a lot about old gas tanks.  So every tank gets removed
and checked or swapped about every decade and a half.  And I try to avoid accumulations of
stuff that are too easily burned.  Bruce Roe

James Landi

Bruce,  I never considered the possibility of a gas leak, and that is, of course, a real possibility -- not only the tanks, but gas lines--  my '85 sprung a gas line leak-- unexpectedly, and in an area under the car where pitting and possible galvanic action had taken place under a metal pipe clamp and the frame.. so, three different metals,pipe, clamp, frame, and all in contact, all creating corrosive electrolytes.