News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

49/50 Distributor Disassembly Questions

Started by Joe V, October 14, 2014, 08:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe V

I have a good candidate for rebuilding, no play in the shaft sleeve and basically complete.  I have disassembled down to the bottom plate of the governor weights.  So a few questions before I go too far or screw things up.

1) I want to degrease and refinish.  Is removing the shaft necessary?  The shaft is tight and spins nicely but I'm guessing gunk will get into it when I refinish if I leave it in.
2) Does the top governor weight plate (first picture) come off or does the shaft have to be removed by taking out the pin on the bottom fitting and sliding the shaft out the top? Taking the pin out is how it seems to me to have to be done.
3) If the shaft comes out, does the sleeve also come out?
4) The plastic body that is on the terminal block (second picture) fell apart on removal.  Is there a source for a replacement parts or do I need to fabricate something to replace?

Thanks

Jay Friedman

Joe,

1. Personally, I wouldn't remove the shaft to refinish it or for any other reason if it has no play and spins freely.  To do so, as you surmised, you'll have to take out the pin on the bottom fitting and slide the shaft out the top.  Yes, you can replace the original peened (swedged) in pin with a spring type pin, but the original type is better.  I would clean it up and paint it by taping and plugging the holes and you shouldn't get gunk in it. 

2. The plate visible in the 1st photo doesn't come off the shaft assembly.

3. By "sleeve" do you mean the bushing inside the lower part of the housing which supports the shaft?  If so, it can be driven out but I wouldn't do that if the shaft has no play.

4. Try some of the dealers in ignition parts who advertise in Hemmings such as Special Interest in Oklahoma for the terminal block.  If you can't find one elsewhere, I might have one.

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

49caddyman

Joe:   I agree with Jay on all points.  I'm quite certain that I have an extra black plastic terminal/insulator in excellent condition for you.  I'll look today.  Joe Cutler

Jay Friedman

If Joe doesn't find his, I just found one among my stuff, though the interior threads need a bit of cleaning.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Joe V

Thanks Gentlemen.  I left the shaft in as recommended, cleaned and refinished and the housing came out great. 

Just let me know what I need to do in regard to the terminal.  At this point, I think I owe both you guys a beer.  Or two...

Jay Friedman

Joe,

One more thing: make sure you fill the reservoir in the distributor with engine oil.  You squirt the oil in through a hole in the side of the lower shaft part of the housing, just under the round "bowl" upper part.   The hole is closed with a small pipe plug.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984