News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

radio removal

Started by gregb1, October 17, 2014, 08:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregb1

I have a 66 convertible. I need to remove the radio. Do I have to remove the entire dash or partial.  Any info greatly appreciated.

gregb1

I don't have the climate control sensor. Is it possible to just remove the plastic grill on the dash above the radio?

Doug Houston

I had a '66 convertible at one time. The radio was not that hard to get at. You'll remove the moldings holding the dash pd an the screws that are under it. Carefully lift the pad, especially if the set is stereo, as the dash speakers are fastened to the ends of te pad. the radio should be right in the center and if it is'stereo,. the power amplifier will be o the passenger side, with two bolts holding it back of the "DeVile" badge. the power amp connects to the radio box with a multi-pin connector. other connectors unplug from the radio in plain view. Knobs are held to he shafts with Alllen head set screws if memory serves.  Tone and speaker ring knobs will just pull off.
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Lucas Feininger #15674

Be careful with the dash pad as you remove it. If it is dry it may crack if t is flexed. An extra pair of hands will be very helpful for this.

Once you have the radio knobs off you will also have to remove two threaded rings on the tuner and volume shafts of the radio that clamp the shafts to the dashboard. You can do this with long needle nose pliers.

Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"