News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Question about a 1946 vin

Started by Doug L, October 20, 2014, 01:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug L

Is the chassis number and engine number th same on a 1946 commercial chassis?
I have a clear picture of the engine number but not of the chassis number and I am curious if thy should be the same.

Thanks
Doug Lemon

Smedly

Doug I am not 100% sure but I believe they should match. I have also sent you a p.m. on a different matter.
Sheldon Hay
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Jeff Hansen

Doug,

If the engine in your '46 is the original engine, then the engine and frame numbers should match.  Being a series 75, the numbers should be in the range of 3400001 to 3401927.   The number on the frame will be located on the top of the frame rail on the passenger side roughly between the battery and the starter - could be as far back as the firewall or as far forward as the motor mount.  See attached photo.

If your engine number is not in the range listed above, the engine has been replaced at some point in the vehicle's life.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Doug L

Thanks for that guys,
Jeff as you can see in the attached picture the engine number is  3400002.

DLemon

Jeff Hansen

Holy cow, you can't get much earlier in the production run than that! Very cool!!

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

harry s

Holy cow, you can't get much earlier in the production run than that! Very cool!!

Jeff
That's exactly what I was going to say. Be nice to know the history.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Doug L

This is not my car,but there is a story (isn't thr always).
I will tell as much a I can after everything has fallen into place.
To be continued...

Doug Lemon