News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

73 Eldo Front End Damage

Started by aggie2012, October 23, 2014, 11:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie2012

Please move this topic if I've posted it in the wrong spot. Sunday evening, after enjoying the afternoon in my convertible, I hit a deer.... a doe to be exact. Being the car it is, the damaged sustained wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. The hood is bent, and the grill was totally destroyed. Upon impact the radiator was pushed into the fan. So on top of the hood and grill, the fan and radiator are done. I don't think fixing the under-hood stuff will be a problem, nor do I think getting a good grill will be difficult. My biggest worry is the massive hood on this vehicle. Judging by the picture below, do you guys think it's fixable, or should I be trying to find another one?
1973 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

"Black Betty"

TJ Hopland

What part of the world are you in?   If in the USA it may not be too hard to find another hood but the you for sure would have a lot of painting to deal with.   You may also get some rust which would be a bummer if you don't have any now. 

I would take it to a couple body / restoration shops and see what they say.   A good body guy that remembers how to work on metal cars may be able to work some 'magic' on it and get it 97% back to original without paint.   Guessing that won't be that expensive either so if you decide you don't like it you can still look for another hood. 

Radiator actually got pushed back that far or did it just move enough to scuff on the fan?  With the metal shroud around holding the top clamps I would not have expected that.   Did the top core support move?  The headlights attach to that so they would have moved too.

At least the bumper looks like it survived which should mean the lower core support is fine.  When that gets bent / damaged things get very complicated and expensive. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

aggie2012

I'm in South Texas. The salvage yard I typically turn to doesn't have a '73 Eldorado so I know I'll have to look elsewhere. I took the car to a old body guy earlier this week. I'm looking at close to $1000 for labor and paint. The paint is cracked really bad in the middle of the bend. I didn't know if maybe I could get another one and have it painted while coming out a little cheaper.

I was surprised that happened too. I will say this, though. Over the years, the little rubber holders that keep the radiator in place have been lost. When the grill pushed the condenser back, the fan scuffed the radiator....just enough to bend two blades and have the scrape the heck out of it. It may or may not help, the water pump belt broke.

I've looked at it pretty close and I can't see where any of the major body components are damaged.

This is what the fan and radiator look like:

"Black Betty"

Dan LeBlanc

As far as your radiator goes, it looks like the tanks are good.  I'd send that one in for a recore and at least you know what you've got as opposed to buying something used.

Likely the deer head or another part of it's body poked through the opening into the radiator/condensor to bend it just enough to hit the fan.  The radiator is likely bent but the support is likely fine.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

R Schroeder

From what your saying , you don't carry insurance on this car , to cover for damage.
In Wisconsin it would be covered 100% hitting a deer. This would be comprehensive insurance.
Roy

76eldo

Get a new water pump, fan, and record the rad.
You will need a clean used hood and a clean used grille.

Agreed value classic insurance through Haggerty or Grundy or similar companies is so cheap I cannot understand anyone not covering their car this way.

$15,000 value on your car would be about $250.00 a year and you could take your car to a restoration shop and let them deal with the entire repair.

There must be lots of parts cars in Texas that would be fairly rust free.

Sorry for your hassle and I hope no one was hurt. I'm sure the deer was.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

>:DI too am sorry for your loss, and sorry for the poor deer that ran into you.

The repair shouldn't be too difficult.   A good bodyman should be able to repair the hood without to much trouble, but he will need to check the hinges for distortion.

The radiator is definitely toast, as is the fan, and Rock Auto sells replacement Radiators for just over $200.00.   Just don't get the Heavy Duty one, as it won't fit.   I know from experience.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

JoeKarasinski

I'm sure it looks better than the doe and a lot easier to fix too.

If it hasn't buckled any where else than just that front edge I would say it's fixable. Core support is probably bent too but also probably fixable. Neither can be fixed with out paint.

But I would do some hunting too because the cost of a used hood may be cheaper than the repair.

Dan LeBlanc

I'd have to agree with Joe on the replace versus repair.  Either way, you'll need to paint the hood, so that cost isn't going to change.  It would be a lot less labour to swap and align the new hood as opposed to straigtening the hood you have.

I've had reasonably good luck getting nice, rust free parts from Arizona Vintage Parts and Desert Valley Auto Parts.  They're not halfway across the country from you, so shipping may not be that bad.  You can also try a salvage yard search at www.car-part.com
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

Anyone know what years the hoods were the same?   It may help him in his search.

Wisconsin makes you carry comprehensive?    In MN all you have to have is liability.  I don't think you can get comp without collision which you can't easily do with a standard policy on an old car. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

aggie2012

Thank you guys for all your support. Thankfully no one was hurt. The deer didn't fair so well. If she wouldn't have been chasing that buck she would have lived to talk about it. I failed to mentioned I locked up my brakes to miss one and ended up hitting the one that was running right behind it.

I still know of an old radiator guy a few miles down the road. He's worked on this particular radiator before so I know he's capable of fixing it. The brass core is probably going to be more expensive than getting a newer style replacement isn't it?

My biggest concern was the hood. Like I said, It'll be close to $1000 to have it fixed. That's kind of hard to swallow considering I only paid $3600 for the car. I've already found a couple....I just haven't had a chance to contact the companies for prices. Please let me know if you know of a reasonably priced one.

As for the insurance, my age is what has prevented me from getting classic car insurance. The last two times I applied for Haggerty they said I had to have full coverage in my name on a newer vehicle. Since I'm only 24, I've stayed on my parents' insurance plan to save some money. Hopefully when I turn 25 my rates will drop and I can get everything lined out to have both of my classics insured like they should be.

"Black Betty"

harvey b

If it was my car i would fix the old hood,providing it is in solid shape,no rust or funny buckles?,it looks to be repairable,try a paintless dent repair shop,maybe they can push it out?.if you swap the hood you will have to have it painted on the underside,and aligned too.If it still opens and closes like it did before you should be OK.1000 to fix it and paint it doesnt seem to out of line,I run a bodyshop and it seems in line with what i would charge. Harvey
Harvey Bowness

76eldo

I did not realize that you are 24 yeas old. All of the classic insurance companies exclude people under 25.

For a young guy you have good taste in cars.

It's gotta be a lot cheaper to find a decent used hood. When they get all kinked like that its hard to straighten properly. It's double walled in the front too.

Keep checking salvage yards in driving distance.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

aggie2012

I don't think it has any weird kinks. It just has that bend right there in the front. I'm going to do some shopping and see what yields the best results. I'm still leaning towards getting a hood though.

Haha yes I'm only 24. The idea of getting "Black Betty" came from thinking how cool it would be to have  a Boss Hogg caddy to falling in love with the Eldorado without the character background. Anyway, I'm going to John's Salvage in Seguin, Texas a call and see if they can help me out....and then cross my fingers I don't hit anything until my next birthday!!!

"Black Betty"