News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 fog light switch

Started by Martin Michaels, October 20, 2014, 05:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Michaels

Hello all, On my fog light switch questions 1.is it a illuminated switch if so what c-p would it take.
2.Is it a 2 position switch,it gets it power when the headlights are turned on.
     Thanks for any help.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Martin: The fog lamp switch bulb is a 51 bulb. The # 2 position on the headlamp switch is where you hook up the power wire to the fog lamps. That postion 2 is also the connection for power to the front parking bulbs when the headlamp switch is pulled to the first position. When you pull the headlamp switch all the way out, that gives power to the headlamp bulbs and also cuts power to the #2 position on the headlamp switch to the fog lamps and front parking bulbs. Fogs and front parking lamps can be on together but never on when the headlamps are on.   Bill

Jeff Hansen

Marty,  I was in the middle of typing a reply to your question when Bill made his post.  His response is spot on, as always.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Jeff Hansen

Bill,

I reread your response and there is something that stuck out at me that I initially missed: "Fogs and front parking lamps can be on together..."  To read the accessory data book, that shouldn't happen.  However, I think that depends on the type of switch used and how the switch is wired.  I've seen two different types of switches. 

Marty, I'd need to see the back of your switch to see which one you have.

I apologize in advance if this is picking nits.

Jeff

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Jeff: Any wiring diagram that I have every seen for the 46-48 shows the front parking lamps coming off post #2 of the headlamp switch as shown in the wiring diagram below. If the car is equipped with fogs then the fogs also are also wired to post 2. Pulling the headlamp switch out to the first position will lite the front parking lamps and will give power to the fog light switch. Turn the fog lite switch knob to the right and you have the fogs on as well as the parking lamps are also on, both at the same time. Some place I have read that the fogs and headlamps are never to be on at the same time and that happens when you pull out of the headlamp switch all the way. As you know this cuts power to position 2,-  fogs/ parking lamps are now out. So if the accessory book says fogs and parking lamps should never be on together, then how is the headlamp switch wired?  Thanks   Bill

Jeff Hansen

Bill,

There would be a single wire running from post #2 to the fog light switch.  The fog and parking lights are both connected to the fog light switch.  Depending on whether the fog light switch is "off" or "on", either one set of lights or the other will be powered when at the first detent on the headlight switch; never both.

Again, I believe there are two types of switches in play here.  One type with an input terminal and two output terminals where the scenario above comes into play and another type of switch where there is just an input terminal and a single output terminal.  This second type would support the scenario you mention.  I have an example of both types of switches but am pressed for time currently so I can't photograph and post them at the moment.  Will do that later tonight.

Thanks (and sorry to Marty for highjacking your thread!)!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Jeff: The attached picture below is from the 1942 Operational Hints and Accessory Controls and I found it on page 191 of Roy Schneider book Cadillacs of the Forties.         
                                                                 Under Accessory Controls
Fog Light Switch-Is connected through the main light switch. Fog Lights can be turned on only when parking lamps are also on.              I cannot find in any book that this did not also apply to the 46 and 47 fogs. My fog light switch has 3 connections and if you believe the parts book it shows the same switch for 42-47.       Bill

Martin Michaels

Thanks for the replys.I have it figured out the switch has 3 connections on it. The center says "bat" "fog" and "park.It has a push button on and off when it takes a light bulb that lites when on. Thanks again
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

gary griffin

From 1942 to 1947 Authenticity manual page II-2 regarding Fog Lamps.

"To operate the optional fog lamps, the headlamp switch must be pulled to the first detent to turn on the parking lights."

Followed by description of switch and color of bracket and then

"Turning the knob clockwise will light the bulb. cut off the parking lamps, and light the fog lamps. The fog lamps will not operate when the headlights are on."

Again I have to thank Jeff Hansen for introducing me to the Authenticity manual which has cost me thousands of dollars and given me much satisfaction.

By the way I am looking for a correct the Fog light switch for my car.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver