News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Air Conditioning Oil Questions

Started by Joshua, October 20, 2014, 07:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

Hello everyone  :D

First I have some good news.  My original A-5 air conditioning compressor has been rebuild by classic auto air in Tampa, Florida and it is officially on it's way back to California to go on

my car.  My system is going to run on R12 just as it did when it was made.  I made sure to ask if it was being shipped with oil in it and it is.  They said they put Ester oil in the

compressor.  I have heard that ester oil works with both R12 and R134a.  I have also heard that Mineral oil was used back in the day with R12 and that PAG is used in modern day R134a

systems and they are not compatible with each other.  My questions are:

1)  Has anyone used Ester oil with R12 and how well did it work?

2)  If Mineral oil is better than Ester, how would I switch the oil in the compressor?

Thank you in advance for your advice,
Joshua Cross  :D
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 Window (X2)
1959 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 4 Window
1959 Cadillac Fleetwood
1964 Volkswagen Type I

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Joshua,
The answer to your question is yes, I use Ester in all my cars. R-12 and R-414b.  Ester oil is Miscible with Mineral oil, so any residual mineral oil in the system will mix with the Ester. There is a difference however in the Hygroscopic qualities of the two.  Mineral oil is much less prone to attract and retain moisture than Ester, and it is much more difficult to remove moisture from Ester (than Mineral oil). What this means is that a system using Ester oil should NEVER be left open to the atmosphere for longer than a minute or two.  If you have the option of using Mineral oil I would contact the compressor re builder and ask them whether their guarantee would hold if you use mineral oil.  That might be your answer.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Dan LeBlanc

The other question is, since the system has been opened when the compressor was removed, were the lines capped off to prevent moisture from entering the system?  Are you also replacing the receiver/dryer while doing the compressor rebuild?

If the system was left open while the compressor was sent out, you're guaranteed to need a new receiver/dryer.  I'd be replacing it anyway while there's no charge in the system, but that's just me.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

55 cadi

Hello,

If I may chime in,  where can I get new insides to the receiver/dryer,
I bought my cadi and system has been dry for a long time, and I have not seen or read anywhere that I can rebuild the inside?

Sorry for my ignorance on this but this is my first classic with A/C.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

55 cadi

Thank you Dan!

I thought I would be able to do myself, guess not.

At least I know where to send now.

Thanks again

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville