News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1990 Fleetwood Radio

Started by Owins, October 20, 2014, 09:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owins

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I recently purchased a 1990 Fleetwood (Front wheel drive model, not a Brougham) and all of the power options seem to work except for the radio. I have not yet tried the cassette player, but the AM and FM bands are barely audible (I knew this was an issue when I bought the car). I'd like to keep the car as original as possible. Could this simply be a fuse or is it recommended that I buy a new radio (It would be a Delco unit correct for the car if I went this route)? Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mgbeda

I'm out of my familiar zone here, but I'm pretty sure those cars had a separate radio "head unit" in the dash and amplifier, maybe under the dash.  It sounds to me like that amplifier is the problem, which should be less expensive than replacing the radio.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Owins on October 20, 2014, 09:08:47 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I recently purchased a 1990 Fleetwood (Front wheel drive model, not a Brougham) and all of the power options seem to work except for the radio. I have not yet tried the cassette player, but the AM and FM bands are barely audible (I knew this was an issue when I bought the car). I'd like to keep the car as original as possible. Could this simply be a fuse or is it recommended that I buy a new radio (It would be a Delco unit correct for the car if I went this route)? Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Unless you have a Bose system, the head unit in the dash has everything built into it, ie: cassette transport, tuner and main amplifier.

Very easily removed in 5 minutes.

I recommend shipping it to United Radio, Syracuse NY. I have been using them for years and their service is first rate.

http://www.unitedradio.com/automotive-electronics/repair-and-remanufacturing/

Welcome to the CLC Forum.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

936CD69

The standard radio will have a 5 band equalizer upper left and be labeled Symphony Sound, Bose radio will have a Gold series label. To remove the radio, grasp the woodgrain trim around it and pull straight out. Open the ashtray and look thru the opening under the dash, you will see and need to remove one screw there. 2 more screws at the top of the front of the radio and gently pull the radio toward you. Disconnect 3 or four harnesses (squeeze the locking tab on the side of each connector and wiggle them out) and the antannae. There is plenty of harness to pull the radio out far enough.

Most likely the caps are blown on the radio, cost me $125 plus shipping to replace all the caps and have an aux input wired in. The standard radio has a nice sound.

HTH,
Craig

Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Owins

Thanks everyone for your replies. I believe the car has a Delco unit, not a Bose, but I will check again.

chrisntam

Yeah, as others have said, get yours repaired rather than taking a chance on buying a used one with possibly the same issues.  Nothing better than keeping the same parts on the car as it came with from the factory with.

And welcome!!  Lots of years of experience here, you've come to the right place!!

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Owins

I took a look and the radio is a "Delco/Bose Gold" unit.

936CD69

In the trunk on the spare tire cover(under the carpet) is the service parts identification label. Post the codes starting with U and I can tell you radio the car was built with
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

David & Craig are correct.

Bose head unit will NOT work with non-Bose speakers and visa versa.

If you indeed have a factory installed Bose system (I hope you don't) the problem may well lie in one or more speakers - specifically the amplifiers built into the speakers.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute