News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

After market turn signals

Started by B Readling CLC#25871, October 22, 2014, 05:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Readling CLC#25871

I have an after market turn signal unit. Maybe I should not say signal-Stat 900 but that is what it is. The flasher is a 535 the pilot light on the control unit stays on all the time. Changed flasher and have changed bulb it still glows. I've read that I should change the flasher to a tridon ll535 and the pilot light will function correctly. Can someone who has chased this rabbit tell me if this is right. The '37 has not been switched over. It is positive ground 6 volt the turn signals and 4-ways work as they should.
Brady - CLC#25871

Steve Passmore

Sounds like you have the signal wire connected wrong Brady. First off, for a single flasher signal bulb it should be connected to the third terminal on the flasher can, are there 3 terminals on the flasher can?
If its on permanently its connected to the supply somehow before the flasher can, if its on all the time when the indicators are on then its getting its power from somewhere after the can.  To wire up a flasher can with only two terminals you would would need two signal lights, one for right and one for left.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

B Readling CLC#25871

Thanks for your reply. The 535 flasher plugged in now has three prongs p,l,and x. The p is the pilot light in the control unit, the L is the load (turn signal lights on the outside of the car and the x is the power as I understand it. I don't the front turn signals connected- I just thought, should I have the front signals hooked up? Or would that effect the outcome?
PS  Steve I have the wiper posts in place,so I believe that problem has been solved.
Brady - CLC#25871

J. Gomez

Brady,

Check the HAMB post here -> http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/turn-signal-wiring-rebel-signal-stat-900.679263/

There is also some info on the wiring for the same signal switch that may be of help.

Also there are more wiring details on the attached file.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Classic

The 900 switches have to have a good ground for the indicator lights to work correctly (ask me how I know).  I added a separate ground wire from the switch housing to a good ground.  Works great now.  To test, connect a jumper wire to a good ground and then touch the other end to the switch housing.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

joeceretti

Had to add a ground wire to mine as well. Also, of the 5 flasher units I have the tridon flasher works the best. Stays at a steady rate even when my battery is low. Never flashes too fast like the cheap overseas knock off that came with my flasher unit. One of the flashers I have works but only keeps the turn signal lights on for a split second and doesn't stay on long enough for the internal flasher light to light up more than a slight almost invisible pulse.

Steve Passmore

Quote from: B Readling   CLC#25871 on October 22, 2014, 06:48:51 PM
I don't the front turn signals connected- I just thought, should I have the front signals hooked up? Or would that effect the outcome?

You have just said a mouthful there Brady. If all your lights are not connected correctly that does strange things to your flasher can. Same thing can happen if your bulb Wattage does not match the can. The new digital flasher cans have overcome this.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Joe Ceretti on October 22, 2014, 10:08:21 PM
Had to add a ground wire to mine as well. Also, of the 5 flasher units I have the tridon flasher works the best. Stays at a steady rate even when my battery is low. Never flashes too fast like the cheap overseas knock off that came with my flasher unit. One of the flashers I have works but only keeps the turn signal lights on for a split second and doesn't stay on long enough for the internal flasher light to light up more than a slight almost invisible pulse.

Just curious.  What do you consider to be a steady rate?

We were looking at Art's 1949 shop manual for instance and that one says the flashers should flash at a rate of 90x per minute.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

joeceretti

By steady rate I mean like a modern car, I don't know how many per minute but changing voltage and adding or removing more filaments doesn't seem to change the rate more than a slight amount. When I first had the signals hooked up, whenever the car was at idle the flasher would drop to an extremely slow rate or stop all together. That's how I ended up with so many flasher units and eventually found the Tridon. Each different manufacturer work differently. Some worked great with low voltage but would flash rapidly when the voltage came up. Changing the amount of load on them by changing the number of bulbs always had an extreme difference in flashing rate.