News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

G M hydro matic trans.

Started by Viator Trudeau, October 24, 2014, 02:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

When removing and replacing the oil pan of transmissions in order to spread the pressures more evenly between cap screws, metal strips apex. 1" long used to be available to apply even pressure to the gasket, are those available.

V.Trudeau

mgbeda

The paragraph below (from an old post of mine) doesn't answer your question, but it may help you ensure a leak-free pan gasket.  I have seen those tabs you mention, but I don't know where to get them.  I think I've seen them on Chevy Valve covers.

When I worked as a mechanic in the early '80s we had a "procedure" for replacing pan gaskets.  What we'd do was to put the lip of the pan on a block of wood.  Then we'd place the ball end of a ball-peen hammer in the bolt hole.  Then we'd tap on that hammer with another hammer.  Wait a minute; let me draw you a picture.  Okay, I'm back, sorry that took so long.  Anyhow, the result was a very slight bulge right under each bolt head which would make the pan seal better.  Did this on valve covers too.  All I can say is it works for me.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

chrisntam

Ok.  That's confusing.  Where do I tap?  What kind of hammer do I use?  What do I use to support the pan?

Just kidding!  Nice drawing, doesn't leave us much to figure out!  Good Job!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Viator Trudeau

To Mike, about the pressure strips, that's where I first saw them used,at that time Chev.valve cover were made of metal beer can stock thickness W/ only four screws holding them on.  My ELDOS have 6-8 all around and metal is heavy.

V. Trudeau

mgbeda

Maybe a Chevy parts place will have them then.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

The Tassie Devil(le)

The biggest thing is not to over-tighten the bolts.

If you do them up to the correct torque, everything will work together.   Doing them up too tight will just twist everything out of alignment, and that is when leaks occur.

Before reinstalling the pan, just make sure that the flange is flat.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon