News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

75 Eldo Hood latch won't release

Started by Tpicks55, October 24, 2014, 03:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpicks55

My 75 Eldo's hood will not unlatch.  When I pull the release it snaps but does not fully disengage.  Any suggestions?? >:(
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

chrisntam

On my '75 Olds, sometimes the hood doesn't come up either.  I pull the hood latch by the drivers door, it pulls and I feel tension in the cable, but the hood stays shut. 

What I have to do is go to the front of the (after the release cable is pulled) car and I hit the hood (somewhat lightly) with my fist balled up (at the front of the hood by the latch).  That jarring will make the hood pop up.  Hit it with enough force (maybe an open hand) to jar it a bit but don't dent the hood!

Give that a try and report back.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

35-709

Tony, get a small spring clamp and put it on the "T" handle shaft so it cannot go back in after you have pulled it out to pop the hood, should do the job.  You probably need a new hood opening spring, yours (and mine) has gotten weaker and compressed over the years and won't lift the hood enough to completely clear the latch, keeping the handle all the way out will do it.
Removing and stretching the spring is a temporary solution.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Tpicks55

Thanks for the replies, I'll try all mentioned.  Hope they work. 
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

TJ Hopland

If you have someone pull the lever and hold it while you are lifting on the hood it should open.  Problem is the 'pop up' spring is just weak after all these years of spending most of its life compressed. 

Seems like on a recent thread here someone had found a place that was selling new 'pop up' springs for this era hoods? 

Or was it someone wishing some place sold then?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A pack of cigarettes works well for this.  ;D
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

TJ,
I had this problem with springs loosing temper years ago, and bought a few "extra" springs. I am sure glad I did. When one of my cars starts to act up I just pop in a new spring and am bood for another ten or so years.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Also helps to make sure the hinges are greased up really well. Those hoods weigh a ton and just a tad less friction can make all the difference.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

So does anyone currently sell new springs for these?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Tpicks55

A gentleman notified me he has springs for sale:

Tony,
If you find that the spring is the culprit and you find streatching it is not an equitable solution, I have a couple of NOS Eldo hood springs. For what they are, different in tension and "k" values from others that appear the same, I think $40.00 plus shipping is a fair price.
Greg Surfas
210-289-5406
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Tpicks55

Well I just had some time to work on it and I got it up by putting a clamp on the linkage handle.  It held the cable taught enough for me to get it up.  That was the problem.  Thanks to all for the help, it is appreciated and I am sure I will be needing more in the future.  8)
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS