News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz bucket seat "car"

Started by lowrider, October 25, 2014, 09:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowrider

I have acquired a 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz frame with matching numbers and registration (title). Just trying to get a rough value. I realize this is a numbers thing and could be used to clone or rebuild a 60 Biarritz. The frame has coil springs but some air ride valves and lines are still present. I suspect this was a loaded car. I guess my question is "if you owned it, what would you try to sell it for" Thanks  ;D

To see the photos click the link.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A329568D8A9F89D6!5474&authkey=!AGKyftLUHu2CqmE&ithint=folder%2cJPG

Data plate:
60-6467 = 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
FW body # 55 out of 1285.
Trim 19B - Red leather bucket seats.
Paint 14 - Platinum gray.
Top 1 - white.
R Shaw

lowridercaddy@msn.com

C.R. Patton II

Hello Robert

If a "perfect" 1960 Biarritz with bucket seats has a 154k book price,  what percentage of that value do your components represent to a cloner or restorer?  30k
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

INTMD8

Any idea what happened to the body? I can't answer unless I had more of a history of these parts.

rwchatham CLC 21892

It might have been worth 30k if it still had a rough body and the eldo parts still present.
I have only seen a few 59 - 60 frame and paperwork combos for sale over the years and they usually go for the 5 -7 k range.
R. Waligora

lowrider

From what I was told the car was at a bodyshop getting a frame off restoration. The car was dismantled and all the parts sent to the appropriate divisions for restoration. The frame as you see it in the photos was put outside. The body was put in another building to be stripped. At some point that building caught fire and burnt down destroying the body (over 20 years ago). Anything that was left was sold off. My friend bought the frame, dahta plate, lube tag and paperwork from the lady that owned the car. I do have the doors from the car (not for sale) and some other Eldorado related stuff that I would keep for my Seville. It never hurts to have spare parts, just incase.. I did contemplate finding another convertible and cloning the car. I have enough Eldorado parts to build one including bucket seats but figured I would rather concentrate building my 59 coupe.
R Shaw

lowridercaddy@msn.com

76eldo

Unless you have a 1960 convertible body and lots of trim its not worth much.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

rwchatham CLC 21892

Its a shame the rest of the car is gone, would have been a great color combo.
R. Waligora

Whit

Might you have the SS relief molding that goes from the top of the right quarter panel to connect with the fin top molding? I need that for my '60 Biarritz.

Thanks  Whit

blugg

seen a 59 Eldo frame FS on eBay in summer of 2015.   Sold for $450      or about the same value as any clean Caddy frame.     Need to have a complete car to be of merit

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

It is important to note that all four key ingredients necessary for creating a bonafide authentic 1960 Eldorado Biarritz are present, namely engine, frame, VIN tag, and of course the title.

*I am assuming all numbers match for all items - and I would suggest getting a build sheet from Allied Vaughan.

Frankly, these items should not be parted out; they should only be sold as a lot.

The finished car would not be considered a "clone" in the normal usage of the term.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

76eldo

This post is from October of 2014.

Whit must have been searching 1960 Eldorado looking for that molding he needs.

Anyway, what this guy has is everything for a 1960 Eldorado except the body.

But as we know, in order to make a real car out of this you would need a decent 1960 convertible, plus come up with the stainless trim, hubcaps, and interior.

By the time you reconstructed all of that you can just go buy one.

If someone has a so-so 62 series convert it makes his package valuable.

I had a 60 Seville chassis that I couldn't give away for free, so I don't think there's too much demand for frames.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Whit

You caught me Brian...I was searching '60 Eldorado looking for the stainless rear quarter window reveal molding,

Whit

Presumably the OP made his decision by now.

For discussion's sake, seeing as this topic has been reopened, I personally would not want to imagine what such a project would entail and there's little question but that it would be difficult to argue the sanity of such an undertaking from a purely economic standpoint.

That said however, I can easily see any number of restoration shops that might consider such a project under the right circumstances; ie: happening to have access to a pair of 59/60 GM buckets and/or a good donor car. Who knows what someone else has in mind?

In any case, the difference between a car with proper identifying parts and one that has been assembled from an assortment of non-matching numbers parts - I would certainly imagine -  hold a lot more value to the restorer capable of tacking such a project, hence my suggestion the items not be separated.

Were I in the market for a ~ $100,000+ car - which an impeccably restored '60 Biarritz is easily worth,  I'd sure want the body plate, frame and VIN to match and would certainly think it would matter to most anyone else.

Cadcliff

Wonder what 60 Biarritzs are worth now, after the RM sale in Scottsdale with the $390K 59 Eldorado.
Seems to me that 60's have been valued at 60-70% of what 59's seem to bring.

Has anyone seen a factory original 60 Biarritz in Silver with Red buckets? Wonder if it could be a one -off
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1940 and 1941 60S
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1965 Cadillac Convertible

rwchatham CLC 21892

Just a question for thought, which do you think would be more valuable ? If you had a 60 Eldorado in a more common color would it be worth more to use this frame engine etc and the make it into this car or just do a color change with out the tag , frame and engine change ?
R. Waligora

Cadcliff

Matching cowl tag and VIN (with build sheet) will always be much more valuable in my opinion, if I am understanding your question correctly.

Ray, have you ever seen a Silver with Red 60 Biarritz? Wish there was a break down by colors and options.
Guess I would need every 60 Biarritz build sheet info....
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1940 and 1941 60S
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1965 Cadillac Convertible

Car would probably bring the most in the most eye catching color schemes, regardless of whether in agreement with the coded information on the data plate.

All ID markings, tags, present & matching (with one another) definitely more preferable than having NO tags or plates.

In CLC judging, no point deductions for color codes different than on car however there would be deduction for missing data plate.   

rwchatham CLC 21892

Cliff, I have seen the gray with red combo but I it was on a bench seat car.
Its a cool color combo, not as special as say a special order car with s o on the tag  but a cool combo . A friend of mine with a champagne 60 eldo was looking at the tags when I think they were on ebay a while back but decided against buying them , think they went for around 2 grand or so ? 
R. Waligora

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: rwchatham CLC 21892 on February 07, 2016, 01:30:58 PM
Just a question for thought, which do you think would be more valuable ? If you had a 60 Eldorado in a more common color would it be worth more to use this frame engine etc and the make it into this car or just do a color change with out the tag , frame and engine change ?
Ray,
I had the thought to convert a low key color car into this one. That would be the only way to do it. Otherwise, where would you get all the parts??  I figured I better not mention it for fear of getting lots of flak!! But... here goes. A champagne car would be very fair game. Pissy greens, browns or even white would also be OK.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

rwchatham CLC 21892

Bob, thats pretty funny  you were not alone on your thoughts, champagne just does not  do a 60 eldo justice.
R. Waligora