News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Attaching '59-''60 hood extension

Started by David Greenburg, October 26, 2014, 07:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

Feels like a dumb question I should be able to figure out, but I can't recall from disassembly several months ago how to attach the 6 bolts that attach the hood extension to the front edge of the hood I took notes and pictures of much of the process, but didn't seem tricky at the time). Seems like the bolts should go in from the edge of the hood ( pointing down). But then there seems to be no way to attach the J nuts to the extension panel. But if you do it the other way, with the bolts pointing up, with the bolt heads in the narrow channel in the extension panel and the J nuts mounted on the hood with the nut side facing up, there is almost no clearance to turn the bolts, and the only thing gripping the extension panel is the flange of bolt where it sits in the small cut outs in the top edge of the extension panel.  What am I missing here?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

76eldo

David,

I put the extension on my 60 not too long ago.
Ill take some pics for you tomorrow.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Grant Owen

David , 59 & 60 attach differently 60 uses a U type clip that has a thread attached this goes on the hood extension then bolts through the hood with flange nuts , 59 uses u clips & hex head screws . I have attached a picture of my original 60 hood extension & a picture of one of my 59's I am currently restoring hope it helps.

David Greenburg

No wonder I am confused.  I have been trying to install the extension using spare '59 hood hardware I had lying around, assuming that '59 and '60 would be pretty much the same.  I am now not even sure I removed the extension, because if I had, I'd have the '60 hardware floating around, and I don't.  I'm wondering if the paint shop did and has misplaced it.   

Do either of you know if the clip that Grant is referring to is something universal/available from one of the hardware suppliers, or is it unique to the '60?

Brian:

I'd love to see your pix if they show anything additional/different. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Grant Owen

David the clips are Cadillac only , you could use a bolt & washer on the Extension side till you found some original clips , the clips shouldn't be that hard to find good used ones.

76eldo

I remember that the clips fit into a slot on the extension and there are studs that extend through the holes on the hood and you nut it on from there.

Ill take some pics later today.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv