News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

346 Rear Seal

Started by autoluke, October 27, 2014, 03:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autoluke

Cadillac 346 in my recent purchase leaks like a sieve.

Will the replacement seal be an easy fix, or should i prepare for a major operation ?
Phil Lukens

joeceretti

Lot's of possible places for a leak. Which car do you have.. manual or automatic?

autoluke

Joe

A manual transmission.

Hope to remove the flywheel cover tomorrow for a closer look, and will post the details.
Phil Lukens

Steve Passmore

I presume thats a rear crankshaft leak?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

joeceretti

Typical spots, flywheel cover, oil pan, at the bell housing, heads, at the top of the distributor tower and on the lifter covers... plus if it has a draft tube, most do, you will usually get dripping there

I am still getting a bit of oil occasionally out the top of the distributor tower and one spot on the lifter covers. Will deal with those this winter when I redo my lifters, again.

Removing the inspection cover will give you somewhat of an idea. The rear seal is typically a rope seal and is available from the seal mongers. How clean is the engine? Can you wipe off the oil and get a clearer idea of the source? Is the engine in a car? I assume not. Out of a car is easier to fix. If one seal is bad there is a good chance that multiple places are leaking.

autoluke

I had a good look today, and unfortunately the leak is coming from the rear seal.

I assume that this will require removal of the engine.
Phil Lukens

joeceretti

I believe so. It is practically impossible to get the bell housing off without removing the flywheel first.

TMoore - NTCLC

This can be done with the engine in the car, if you choose to do it that way - you only need to be able to drop the crank just a bit in order to get the seal in.  Search the forum more details, but here are a couple of sample posts - note that many are using the Mercedes part, but the standard rope seal process is the same:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=102132.msg128709#msg128709

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=99978.msg135119#msg135119