News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Can a sway bar be welded. ?

Started by Scott Anderson CLC#26068, October 28, 2014, 09:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Whatever may have occurred over the years so it can be I don't know but I find my front sway bar has actually snapped. (If you have one please see the Wanted page). Application is 1941 Series 62 front end.

Ideas on whether it can be welded? Seems like the temper of the metal would be adversely affected at the least.  Has anyone had experience with this sort of problem and what did you do?

Not baving a lot of luck but still looking with the usual supplier channels and the one on eBay is from a 40 series Buick where if there is an interchange I would think it would be C body only so 50/70 series. This is guesswork so if someone has an interchange book and can tell me what else fits I'd appreciate it.

Would a spring shop make them?

Thanks
Scott
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Caddy Wizard

No, you will not be able to weld the sway bar.  But you should not have any trouble locating a used one.  Or better yet, buy an aftermarket fatter sway bar made by ADDCO.  It will look stock, but be a little thicker and the car will handle much better.  It won't hurt the ride, but it will keep the car from heeling over during turns.  Best thing you can do for an old Caddy -- I swear by it. 
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jay Friedman

I agree with Art, as I installed one of those thicker sway bars on my '49 (whose chassis is similar to a '41's).  Now it handles better and goes around sharp corners a lot better than before.  One corner in particular, where I had to slow down considerably, I can now negotiate at a better speed. 

According to my parts manual, in 1941 Series 67, 75 and commercial chassis (hearses, etc.) had a thicker sway bar, as did Series 75 and commercial chassis vehicles in '49, so it's not really a modification.  The nice part is that, in '49 anyway, the thicker sway bar interchanges with the stock bar and bolts right on.  The only difference is that the 2 rubber bushings which support it toward the center of the car have a larger hole through them.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Art and Jay,

Thank you for taking a moment to reply. I would be just fine with an aftermarket slightly larger swaybar from ADDCO but their catalog only goes back to 1948. Is it possible that either of you have an interchange manual to tell if the measurements would interchange with the 1941? The bar is still on the car, I can try to get measurements tonight.

Incidentally I do have a car club acquaintance here that has put some 50K miles on his similar vehicle and experimented with increasing sway bar thicknesses. My understanding from talking with him about it a couple of years ago is that he eventually got to the point where it was 'too much' although I don't recall the specifics just the admittedly vague impression not to mess with it 'too much'. For what it's worth...

Thanks very much,
Scott

Jay Friedman

Scott,

The CLC directory shows your '41 to be a Series 62. My parts manual shows that the front Series 62 "stabilizer bar" as Cadillac calls it to be the same in both 41 and 48.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bcroe

Quote from: Art Gardner  CLC 23021
No, you will not be able to weld the sway bar.  But you should not have any trouble locating a used one.  Or better yet, buy an aftermarket fatter sway bar made by ADDCO.  It will look stock, but be a little thicker and the car will handle much better.  It won't hurt the ride, but it will keep the car from heeling over during turns.  Best thing you can do for an old Caddy -- I swear by it.

I have ADDCO front & rear on a few cars; heavier, and adding a rear really helps.  Very pricey
from the source, but I was able to get them for less than half through special order JCW many
years ago.  Bruce Roe

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Art, Jay, Scot, Bruce -

Thank you all again for your time and trouble to reply.

Jay, appreciate also the efforts to look up and confirm the interchange. (You are correct, my car is a 6227D convertible coupe). I'll check into the ADDCO as an option then, thanks for the tip Bruce. Another kind club member has found a stock one for me as well.

Art and Scot, you're absolutely right about welding the bar. In conversations today with a spring shop they said it would indeed mess up the temper and the repair would last just long enough to put the weight of the car down onto it.

Photos added if any interest, note how clean the break is.

-Scott
Scott

Caddy Wizard

You can't go wrong either way.  If you get a used stock bar, you'll have the satisfaction of staying 100.000% stock.  If you put in a fatter bar, you'll enjoy driving the car more.  Both are good outcomes...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

55 cadi

I would get both.

Which because of reading this post I am going to order the thicker bar, my cadi is my only car and daily driver, so the thicker bar will do me good.

Thicker to enjoy daily driving.

Install original for shows, because not a difficult part to swap back and forth, especially if you don't go to a lot of shows.

Jason
55 sedan
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Again thanks all for your replies, they've been very helpful. I have ordered both.

Bobby B

Scott,
Hi. How did you make out with the aftermarket sway bar? In your opinion, was it worth it over the stock size and who did you wind up purchasing it from? Looking to upgrade and your opinion would be appreciated. Thanks,
                                                                                                                            Bob

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Hi Bobby

I haven't yet received the aftermarket sway bar. It's to be shipped 12/12, at least a month after I ordered it (Addco #2052) from Jegs.com. As Jay wrote, it seems to be the same one from 41-48.

I will post when I have received it, installed and tried it out.

Thanks
Scott

Bobby B

Scott,
  Since they are backordered, I might as well order one now so I don't have to wait forever to get it. Can always be returned if I don't open the box. I'll wait for your response with your opinion before I install it and check it out on the car.
                                                                                                                                                Thanks,
                                                                                                                                                      Bobby

1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Bobby, Just so you know I didn't forget.

Ship date is now updated to 12/30. Jegs is waiting on ADDCO, and they (ADDCO) told me two different things - they had a shortage of steel shipment in November and are catching up on orders, but they think they have two in stock, Not real promising, considering a November 2 order date. But they haven't taken any money so there's no fraud. Depending if I scare up the time I may just toss the stock on on the car to move it more safely until the ADDCO one appears.

FWIW,
Scott

Bobby B

Scott,
   Appreciate it.
                  Thanks,
                       Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Bobby B

Scott,
Hi and Happy New Year…..I couldn't wait any longer, so I pushed the button and ordered the Addco front sway bar ( 2052) for the '47. I don't know if you're still waiting from Jegs, but I just ordered it from a guy named Peter @ Never Enough Auto Accessories 877-609-6727. He spoke to Addco and there are a few left in stock. They are drop shipping it to me from NC, and I should have it in a few days. $166.05 + $12.00 shipping. Can't beat that, and I'll have it in a few days. Maybe want to cancel Jegs if you didn't get it yet. Tried to PM you, but it wouldn't go through. Good Luck!
                                                                                                                                                 Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Hi Bobby

Funny thing I had the idea this morning that since the holidays are over, and I still am 'swaybar-less in Seattle', that I need to check on this. I've no idea re the PM not working out so I especially appreciate your taking a moment to dig up my thread for checking in with me on it. 

Re holidays, Happy 2015 and may it bring many miles in your cars to you and your family as well.

So, I called Peter and I now also have a 2052 headed my way.

It seems so much simpler to just have Peter change the shipping address of your bar to my place, hey it's even paid for, hope you don't mind.   Just kidding, couldn't resist!!  >:D

Anyway, the ADDCO rep he worked with has gone and physically put her hands on both of the 2 remaining bars in inventory, so they really do exist and it seems we've cornered the market.

Thank you again kindly and looking forward to our sway bars working out well for both of us.

-Scott

Bobby B

Scott,
  Got your back Brother!  ;D
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH