News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

49 Rear Wiring Harness Installation Advice

Started by Joe V, October 28, 2014, 06:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe V

I'm ready to install the wiring harness that starts at the drivers side kick panel from body connector to the trunk for rear lights and fuel level indicator on my 49 convertible.  Looks like it goes through the rocker panel and ultimately exists in the trunk.  I didn't see it underneath the car and I haven't yet pulled out the back seat or inside rear panels to see if there is an exit point before the trunk.  So I know I have a bit more investigation work to do.

But before I go any further, are there any tips on how best to fish the new harness through?  The old harness is still in place.  Thanks.

Jay Friedman

Joe,

If your '49 is a convertible, the Authenticity Manual states that "in convertibles,.........almost all wires to the rear of the car for the tail and license plate lamps, the fuel tank sending unit and the trunk light run from under the dash of the car through the firewall into the engine compartment.  From there they follow the firewall down to a point just behind the front seat where they re-enter the center of the passenger compartment through the floorboard.  The wires continue across the floor covered by a metal plate, then under the rear seat into the trunk. 

If a sedan or coupe these wires run from an under-dash connector up the left side of the windshield behind the upholstery, then through a series of clips between the roof and the headliner to the trunk. 

1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Joe V

Yep, that's it.  Thanks Jay.

Looks like it's time to spring for the Authenticity Manual.