News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Any transmission gurus??

Started by MY 59, October 31, 2014, 07:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MY 59

Hi all,

what would cause my transission in my 59 to slip into a neutral condition when coming to a stop?
RPM drops really low as if trans is holding 2nd and not downshifting into 1st, then slips into a neutral briefly once stopped, then pops into 1st?

with the selector in low it is fine and will dowshift from 2 to 1 perfectly upon stopping or slowing, but in both DR selections it does as above
other than that the trans works beautifully!!
thanks in advance
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

dplotkin

Assuming correct fluid level and un-burnt fluid in good condition I suspect hardened coupling cover seals that are leaking resulting in low line pressure.  First thing I would do is perform the shop manual specified throttle rod adjustment. Then, if no improvement you have little to lose in dumping the fluid, removing the pan, cleaning the screen if necessary, and putting it back up with new fluid. While its down inspect the contents of the pan. Some sludge from the clutches is normal, depending upon how long, if ever, since the pan was last down. A lot of material and/or metal shavings is not good.

If that doesn't do it, you need the professional league players. It will probably have to come down and gone through.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

SIPLOWGUY

Quote from: dplotkin on October 31, 2014, 07:26:26 PM
Assuming correct fluid level and un-burnt fluid in good condition I suspect hardened coupling cover seals that are leaking resulting in low line pressure.  First thing I would do is perform the shop manual specified throttle rod adjustment. Then, if no improvement you have little to lose in dumping the fluid, removing the pan, cleaning the screen if necessary, and putting it back up with new fluid. While its down inspect the contents of the pan. Some sludge from the clutches is normal, depending upon how long, if ever, since the pan was last down. A lot of material and/or metal shavings is not good.

If that doesn't do it, you need the professional league players. It will probably have to come down and gone through.

Dan

I agree, low line pressure. Dropping the fluid won't hurt. Try to drain the convertor too. New fluid could clear up some sludge that is reducing pressure. 
SIPLOWGUY