News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966-76 Cadillac R12 to R134 low side no schrader

Started by Scot Minesinger, November 02, 2014, 03:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

The common replacement kits use high side no schrader valve adapter (that re-uses existing), low side with schrader valve in adapter.  Then you have to remove the original Schrader valve from low side.  Looking for a low side adapter that screw on with no schrader and you can reuse the existing schrader valve.  These were commonly available in 1995 when the switch was on from r12 to r134 (It think 93 was last year of r12). 

Does anyone know where I can buy this fitting for low side that uses original schrader?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
Go to any refrigeration wholesale house in your area.  They have the fittings.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

I'm not quite sure what you are asking for.   

Are you talking about the adapters that require you to remove the 'core' from the original valve vs. the ones you can leave the original core in place?    Both should still be commonly available, I bought some this summer.    If you have the space you can usually use the ones where you leave the core in place.   If you have an application where you have to use something like a 90 degree adapter you don't have a choice and have to use the ones where you remove the stem.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Looking for the ones that are used with core in place.  So the adaptor has no core and you can see right through it.  They come that way for high side, but low always has a core. 

I looked on e-bay but could not find any.  If you know a link or a way to get them that would be helpful.  Unfortunately with advent of on-line and plus DC is too gentrified, accordingly there is not an automotive a/c whole sale place around.  I have a few days, so on-line would be OK.

TJ Hopland

I believe the reason the high side can get away with that design is the larger diameter of the high side 134 fitting leaves room that the adapter can thread all the way down and press on the original core.    The low side being smaller there just is not room to do that so the adapter either has to have its own core and you remove the original or its got sort of a core extension on it that then presses on the original.   

I don't recall ever seeing one like you are asking for.  I also can't see how that would work, there has to be a way for your service connector to operate the core which it can't do if its that deep in there.   

Scot Minesinger

The car is already converted, but they guy insisted on an original look and someone had a set of 1995 R12/R134 adapters they screwed on that used the original schrader valve cores and then when the charge was completed they were removed.  You can't get the old type anymore.  His a/c does not work.  My frustration cannot be put into words without offending.

TJ Hopland

I still don't get the problem.   I can walk into any parts store and buy a 'retrofit kit' that has 3 or 4 adapters in it with caps and a sticker.  Its the same kit they have been selling since the 90's.   For the domestic stuff there are 2 adapters in there that will just thread onto the original fittings, you don't have to remove the cores or do anything special.   You can then connect your 134 equipment and do what you are going to do and then if you really wanted to unscrew them and put the original caps back on.   Most stores will have individual adapters in stock also but usually cost more than the 'kit' so I only buy those if I need something strange like a 45 or 90* fitting.

I just bought one of those kits in September when I had to replaced a damaged hose on the wife's 93. 

Scot Minesinger

The problem is that this car has an r134 charge according to the owner.  The original fittings for r12 are in place with no r134 fittings.  The high side r134 to r12 adapter does not have a shcrader core in it and you can see right thru it.  The low side adapter has a Schrader valve in it.  If you screw on the low side r134 to r12 adapter there will be two shraders in series and when you attaché the hoses, only the first low side, not the second will be opened.  You do not have low side access.

My recovery machine requires a low and a high side to remove the charge. 

Scott,
With all this discussion and conjecture I will repeat my suggestion to go to your local refrigeration wholesaler and tell them what you want. You will be surprised at what they come up with.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Jon S

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on November 04, 2014, 08:54:07 AM
The problem is that this car has an r134 charge according to the owner.  The original fittings for r12 are in place with no r134 fittings.  The high side r134 to r12 adapter does not have a shcrader core in it and you can see right thru it.  The low side adapter has a Schrader valve in it.  If you screw on the low side r134 to r12 adapter there will be two shraders in series and when you attaché the hoses, only the first low side, not the second will be opened.  You do not have low side access.

My recovery machine requires a low and a high side to remove the charge.

Scot -

I hear you, but in reference to the low side - when you screw on the low side R134 to R12 adapter, the newly installed adapter's Schrader valve when depressed also depresses the R12 Schrader valve it is attached to, so there should be no problem relative to the Low side.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Jon S on November 04, 2014, 01:09:29 PM
when you screw on the low side R134 to R12 adapter, the newly installed adapter's Schrader valve when depressed also depresses the R12 Schrader valve it is attached to, so there should be no problem relative to the Low side.

This is exactly what I was trying to get across but apparently failed to do.   

Forgive me but we are way off topic here.  Scott's question was in reference to a refrigerant line fitting.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger

Back to topic,

Resolution:

Person who originally charged system produced the low side fitting that had a Schrader core that was positioned to also depress the original core.  Screwed it on, recovered the 0.17 lbs of r134.  Removed "special" low side two cores in series (not best) and replaced with standard r134 low side fitting (single Schrader core only on low side).  Then performed the service and recharged.  All is good.

This fitting was unusual and not was is normally seen for sale, now I know - thanks!