News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1963 convertible coupe hydramatic transmission stuck in park

Started by mikecoil, November 08, 2014, 11:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecoil

I am looking for input as to what I did to my transmission. I have a 1963 convertible coupe with the hydramatic transmission. I often used to have a problem getting my reverse lights to come on so instead of actually fixing the problem (probably a switch) I got in the habit of slamming my lever down a couple times and the lights would usually come on. (I know...pathetic!). The last time I did this was a little over two years ago and I think I slammed lever a little too hard because after this I felt no sensation of clicking through the gears and after I parked it has been stuck in park and haven't driven her since then.(I know..pathetic!) I recently took the pan off and found that I had broke the detent spring which explains why I don't feel the shifting through the gears. But could this really be the only problem? Any input would be sincerely appreciated.  Mike

russ austin

Mike, once you clear the broken parts out, does the shift lever move?
R.Austin

mikecoil

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes the shift lever moves quite easily 

russ austin

I would suspect that your only prob was the detent spring/assembly.
R.Austin

mikecoil