News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1924 cadillac

Started by gao, November 09, 2014, 03:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gao

i am a new member to your club and glad to be a part . I have a 1924 casillac v 63 314 c.u. . I had berry machine completley rebuild motor . the motor runs terriffic the thing that troubles me is it running hot 225 at heads as high as 250.  boths pumps were rebuilt and apperar to b working .  Anyone that can help would be much appreciated..  My phone   586-531-1261 if this is better    thanks greg

joeceretti

What condition is your radiator in?

gao

radiator pressure checked no leaks

gao

is it possible the pumps on installed wrong ( the hoses line up one way only) i am just shooting in the dark .  just a little background the car is unrestored other than the engine  and everytihng is intact and operating and i do mean everything .  except for the overheating  :-[

joeceretti

I mean more the flow. Have you had it rebuilt? Rads clog up easily and will cause overheating. Especially if everything else is as it should be. I am not familiar with your engine but it is also possible that the impellers are not installed within spec. Many other possible problems, but, if you haven't had the rad rebuilt I would suspect that.

gao

thanks joe good advise i will double check the pumps were  done in  new york the radiator is my next step

joeceretti

You are welcome. Just as a disclaimer, I don't know a lot about the details of your car. This is just general cooling system advice. Another thing to check on your rad is the size of the core. Many times rads will be recored with an insufficiently thick radiator core. This is a problem I had with my car. It's fixed, recored with the correct size as per original specs, and runs nice and cool at all times.

It is very likely your rad has been recored and if not then I would highly suspect that it is at least partially and likely almost totally clogged.

Russ Cox

We are one year owners of a 1924 V63.  We went through much of what you did...heads, water pumps and finally had to have a new radiator built.  Stays cool now.  Just trying to keep the rear end from leaking.  Anyone know about the "cog and pin" that looks like an adjustment point?

joeceretti

If your rear end is anything like mine, it has a vent on top and basically is designed to leak to prevent too much pressure build up when hot.

Russ Cox

Thank you.  This is leaking from the rear end where it come out of housing to drive shaft.  I suspect gasket is worn.  it was improperly filled with lighter 140w oil before i got it.  Now 600W but may be too late for gasket.  It has a cogged wheel just outside the housing that may be to adjust but I cannot find any information on what it does and i cant get the locking pin out either.  Not looking forward to pulling rear end.  thanks again. 

joeceretti

Very interesting. I'd love to see some pictures of that.

When I pulled the pinion out of my differential someone had welded the metal part of a seal onto the pinion shaft instead of pressing it into the housing. I still can't get my head around the reasoning.

joeceretti

Thank you for the pictures. I will post them here for you and for everyone else to see.

What a beautiful car. It looks like a lot of fun to work on and to drive. I wish I had it!

And no, it's nothing like my car's rear end.

Russ Cox

joeceretti

At least it looks nice and clean. I've been totally covered in black grit more times than I can count, including today.

Russ Cox

We understand.  We fell into the Cadillac and are learning as we go along. It has been very challenging and yet a lot of fun.  Hope to have it running soon so we can enjoy the fun that we thought we were buying it for. ...Jill