News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'74 eldo wiring connectors

Started by Viator Trudeau, November 09, 2014, 06:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

The four spade wiring connector at the end of the starter pig tail W/ two red & a black# 10 gauge wires, the connectors get pushed back in the plastic socket, making minimum engagement or none after a while W/ no starter engagement.  The terminals back out then no starter operation, which is happening to me now.  The retainers inside the plug flake off and W/  stiff # 10 wires tend to back out.
Does any one have a quick positive method to keep the terminals from backing out with out total replacement.  Thanks.

V. Trudeau

76eldo

There should be a little barb that holds the copper contact into the plastic.  Sometimes you can bent it out a bit and it will stay in better.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

Have suffered this same problem on 74 thru 76 Cadillacs, wires backing out of black connector.  I grab the wire with needle nose pliers as close to connector as possible and push them on the spade.  Pain, but works.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Viator Trudeau

Hi, thanks for the responce.  I think my problem is two fold,  the spades back out, looks like plastic got hot and melted, wont engage in the plastic, holes in plastic.  The metal barb might engage its other half if I work with it???  Does an automotive elect shop have these old connectors.  I have had poor connections in that 2" wide connector on the body wiring btwn. engine and fire wall.  On the starter pig tail I could reposition spades and J-B weld them in.

V. Trudeau

bcroe

If that is a harness near the starter, can it get wet?  I find much of this old
wiring needs to be upgraded with newer weatherproof electrical connectors. 
I get mine from DEL CITY, Milwaukee       delcity.net      Bruce Roe

Viator Trudeau

Hello all;  In 1998 when I bought my "68 eldo in so. Florida I test drove it apx. 20 miles and started it at least 10-15 times W/ the starter engaging every time. no problems there,  Got it home to Chesapeake,VA and the starter started to " zing," bad engagement.  the drive looked new,  ring gear showed wear,  what to do, a fix W/O replacing the ring gear.  As it turns out the spring on the drive was weak and would collaph under the sudden jerk when the solenoid engaged, not meshing the gears before the motor starter rotated.    I examined  new drives , and when comparing the stiffness of the springs of the new. one was much stiffer, allowing engagement. installed that one and problem solved 12 years ago.

V. Trudeau

TJ Hopland

I believe one of the other things the connector in question serves as is the junction between the regular harness wire and the fusible link wires.     I don't remember if it was on one of mine or another car but I do remember eliminating that connector.   I used solder and shrink tube on mine but I think you can buy a connector made for that purpose.   Seems like Ford used them in the 70's and 80's, they look like a plastic bullet. 

Like someone else said I think its pretty easy to remove the terminals for cleaning and adjusting.   You can release them with a small screwdriver then bend the little tab back up and snap em back in.   They used to be fairly easy to find if you had to replace them but I have not seen them lately. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Viator,
Waytex wire has a full line of connectors.  http://www.waytekwire.com/products?pSearch=delphi

You probably have 4 or 5 wires in the starter harness, and there are connectors available up to 6 connectors that are very similar to what you have.  You have to buy the male and female connectors as well as male and female terminals of the proper guage, but when finished you will have a workmanship connection.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Viator Trudeau

I must tell you all why 90 percent of the time that the starter on my "74 ELDO would not work, thought it was poor connectors, might still be.  A few weeks ago another no start occurred, and having the car for a year and a half I  pulled the starter, should have done it right away.  Two of the brushes were worn down to the plastic holders with the brushes not touching the commutator very well.  I had the starter rebuilt.  O K now. ??

V. Trudeau