News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

6 way power seat not moving

Started by Matt CLC#18621, November 10, 2014, 10:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

6 way power seat stopped working on 85 eldorado.
makes noises when toggle switch is moved.
does it require a new relay?
thanks,
matt CLC#18621

TMoore - NTCLC

Can you hear the motor spinning?  These cars have nylon transmission cases that tend to disintegrate after about 20 years, so that the gears are no longer aligned. 

You might want to chat with our member Cadillac Tim - he may be able to offer guidance or a solution:

http://cadillactim.com/

Let us know what you discover.

TJ Hopland

How often does it get moved?   If it has not moved fairly recently it could just be gummed up and stuck. 

Does it seem to move at all?   Common issue is the due to an obstruction under the seat one of the drive cables gets knocked off so one part of the mechanism does not move.  The result is things just kinda get wedged and jammed.   Fix for that is to figure out which way it needs to go to align back with the stuck part,  get it there, then reconnect the cable.    The cables are like speedometer cables. 

I don't remember if the 80's the were still doing the weird separate field wiring / control like they did in the 70's.   Those could have issues where only part of the power is getting to the motor so it kinda seems like it wants to run but won't.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Matt CLC#18621

Still no success at resolving/

6 way power seat stopped working on 85 eldorado.
makes noises when toggle switch is moved.
does it require a new relay?
thanks,
matt CLC#18621

Dan LeBlanc

What have you done to try and resolve it? 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Try some of the electrical spray cleaner on it. That worked on my '79.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville