News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

HELP! unidentified relays and wires in my 70 Deville

Started by cblackmon, November 11, 2014, 06:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cblackmon

I have a 70 deville convertible, and I am in the process of sorting out a number of issues related to the nest of wires some previous owner created.  FIRST.....there is a relay tucked away in the kick panel on the driver's side.  it has a red, orange, and a pink wire leading to it.  Cant find anything in my manual about it.  SECOND....under the dash in the middle of the car there is a black box where the AC vents at the floor.  There is an electrical plug about 6 or 8 inches off the floor of the car on the left (drivers) side.  this goes up through the dash, splits, and ends with wires on the left and right side of the car under the dash cover.  were these wires at some point attached to air temp sensors?  THIRD....There is a vacuum line (actually two, side by side) unplugged under my dash.  Cant figure out where it goes.  One side is red, and the other appears to be black, and at the open end the two lines end in a connector with a small wire clasp.  Again, no evidence as to where this goes.  Seems to head toward that black box under the dash, and there may be a part missing on that, because the left side at the floor is open and there is a metal retainer on it (nothing for it to retain).  FOURTH....my car is missing the Sentinel photocell that is located under the dash near the left speaker.  If anyone knows where this photocell can be found, that would be great!  Thanks for the help. 
Colin Blackmon

cadillactim

Colin

The relay is the window relay. This relay sends power to the window lockout switch and driver window switch when the key is turned on.

The two vacuum lines go to the neutral switch at the base of the steering column. There are four vacuum ports on the back of the switch, but only two (on one side) are used. The vacuum lines attach there.

The two wires going up and splitting off I can only guess at. Are they the speaker wires? If not, what are the colors of the wires?

Concerning the photocell, the photocell is matched to the sentinel control box. The box has to be calibrated to the photocell, and when they were ordered they had to bought as a set. I do sell rebuilt boxes with photocell if you're interested.

Tim
Tim Groves

cblackmon

Wow Tim....great information!  I will check the vacuum line this morning.  I was looking at my shop manual, and found a relay with the correct colored wires, and it is labeled "ignition relay"....could the label just be generic to ignition and not specifically designated in the diagram as the window relay you mention?  As for the mystery wires....I thought originally they were old speaker wires, but they follow down to a plug....the pics of the relay connector And the mystery wire connector is attached.  The wires going to the plug in the black box are green and green/black.  I am very interested in the photocell/sentinel switch.  Just let me know pricing, Etc.  Thanks so much for your help!!
Colin Blackmon

Scot Minesinger

Just confirming when you wrote "my manual", you are referring to shop manual, correct?  I have three 1970 Cadillacs (all RWD) and without the shop manual I'm lost.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cblackmon

That's correct...I got an absolute steal on a shop manual on eBay.  It's been a great source of info.  I'm a muscle car guy, so this caddy has been quite different for me.  I will attach a pic of the diagram showing the ignition relay.  It's in the lower left corner of the pic. 
Colin Blackmon

cadillactim

Colin

The "ignition relay" and "window relay" are the same relay. When the ignition is turned on the relay is energized and sends power to the power window switches.

The green/black wires are part of the sensor string for the Climate Control. The sensors are in a series circuit, so the wiring probably goes to the top dash pad sensor (in front of steering wheel) and/or the ambient sensor behind the passenger kick panel. Just look at the wiring schematic in the shop manual in the air conditioning section and follow the wires.

Rebuilt sentinel control box and photocell is $95 rebuilt with exchange plus shipping.

Tim
Tim Groves

cblackmon

Great. Definitely want to get the sentinel from you.  I think the sensors you describe are gone in my car.  There is what I think is the ambient temp sensor (almost looks like a little light bulb with a resistor next to it) directly above the steering column on the instrument panel, with a big multi wire connector going to it.  Not sure where the missing sensors attach, or if I can even get replacements. 
Colin Blackmon

cadillactim

That sensor is the in-car sensor (and in car temperature switch for Climate Control). Should have a odd shaped connector with 4 terminals plugging into it. The ambient sensor is behind the passenger kick panel.

Tim
Tim Groves

cblackmon

Gotcha.  I will take a closer look for those sensors. According to the manual, The other one (duct sensor) is mounted next to the mode selector (wherever that is!).  Would you happen to know of a place where I can get my power servo fixed?  Seems to be in good shape, but it's missing the connector on the arm that attaches to the door.  It has the adjustment spring on it.  All of that is gone on mine.  All I have is the bare arm sticking out of the servo.

I really appreciate all the help.  I know I am raining questions down on you, but you are the first person I have found that could answer this stuff.  Once I get the AC/heat working, I am home free on everything else.  This car has been a huge project for months, and I have been on an island with it! 

Let me know how you want to handle the transducer/photocell transaction.  Thanks again!
Colin Blackmon

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

No problem with the questions--That's why we are here.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

cadillactim

Colin

The picture with the green/black wires is the duct sensor. I rebuild the power servos, so if you want to send me yours to repair what is needed you can, or you can purchase a complete rebuilt one also. I will send you a PM about that and the sentinel box/photocell.

Tim
Tim Groves

cblackmon

Thanks Tim!  Got your IM...when I get back in town tomorrow I will package that stuff up and send it to you. Thanks! 
Colin Blackmon