News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

painting the heads on my 472?

Started by aod92, November 11, 2014, 12:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aod92

I already did this once about 1 year ago. It has all burnt off and looks like crap. I used a high temp engine paint and its not holding up.  What are you guys doing to keep this from happening? Are there better high temp paints I can be using? 

Chris Conklin

Chris Conklin

aod92

Thank you sir! I'll be buying that for sure!  Does it hold up well around the exhaust ports on the heads?

joecaristo

I don't think any paint can hold up near the exhaust manifolds for very long. I've tried different paints over the years and use Bill Hirsch Cadillac Blue. When the paint burns off I just repaint.
Joe
Joe Caristo

Scot Minesinger

Joe is right, nothing holds up to that heat on exhaust outlets on heads, I repaint and it lasts 500 miles max.  Only trailer transported cars can manage.  I use the Hirsch paint too, best around.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

aod92

If the paint won't hold up I might just have them ceramic coated.

Scot Minesinger

Be careful with that idea.  There are so many potential problems.  The heads have heat treatment and ceramic coating can undo the heat treatment, which is horrible.  My Father was a plant manager at an industrial tool plant for two decades and I am an engineer-this is not a fictional issue.  Ceramic coaters may not be careful about avoiding contact with finish on gasketed surfaces.

You are talking about removing the heads on a functioning engine to make the under-hood section of the engine just a little nicer.  Downside risk far outweighs upside gain.  I would not do it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Bobby B

Phil,
  Hi. Make the sure the heads are stripped and degreased, the whole 9 yards. Rattle-can, NEVER!  Two part Epoxy primer underneath the paint is the way to fly. Holds up a LONG time. And in agreement, Bill Hirsch's paint, is by far, the best I've ever used. Show winning results. Plus, I like going down there to visit him and chat!
The only time I have ever had a problem with slight discoloring is with the Pontiac 400 motors because the actual exhaust manifold is part of or  "built-in" to the head. Pontiac guys will know what I'm talking about. It discolors to a golden brown in the center port right off the head. But Bill's paint discolors almost unnoticeable compared to others out there. The epoxy undercoat is more temperature resistant than the paint itself, so it acts as a extra barrier, and provides a better surface for the paint to grab hold of.  I always let the Hirsch paint dry at least a month before starting the engine and have had excellent results. You have to be patient, the results are worth it. I don't want to endorse any specific products here, but have had nothing but great things to say about Barry's Epoxy Primer @ Southern Polyurethanes. I have used just abut every product out there and nothing outperforms his product even at 3X the cost. Painting an engine is something you try to do once, and do it right, so try and steer clear of inferior products. Follow all the manufacturers specs and you should have excellent results. Good luck!
                                                                                                                               Bob
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

aod92

Thanks for all the info guys. Ceramic coating is probably not the best way to go if I'm gonna have problems. I'm gonna be going through the mirror this winter so the heads Will be off the car. I'll order the hirsch paint and go from there. 

joeceretti

I'll also add my comments about the Hirsch high heat paint. It discolors to a golden brown in the areas of REALLY high heat but, more importantly, it doesn't burn off or come off the surface, at least in my experience.