News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

55 sedan, 331 carter wcfb carburetor help

Started by 55 cadi, November 12, 2014, 12:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

55 cadi

Hello all,

Any help would be great.

I am rebuilding my carb and the rebuild kit says the float drop should be primary-5/8" from the bottom of horn to top of float,and secondary 11/16" drop from bottom of horn to top of float
The 55 shop manual says float drop should be 2 1/4"  from bottom of horn to bottom of float
And another 55 carb book says leave the way it was when taken apart because each is adjusted from factory for each bowl.

Any GM or carter carb mechanics, or anyone that knows best for this situation?

Thank you
J oliver
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Dave Shepherd

I did that exact carb as the manual stated, remember they are using different measuring points in the o/h kit, careful bending the floats.

Jay Friedman

I would ask John Washburn as he knows those 4-barrel carbs well.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

55 cadi

Thank you Dave and Jay,

Yes the rebuild kit says from bottom of horn to top of float. And 55 shop book says from bottom of horn to bottom of float. And they don't equal the same height, so that's why I didn't know which to go with.

I PM John about it, thank you.

Hope to get this done soon, she is my daily driver.

1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville