News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hydroelectric Pump Disassembly Advice Needed

Started by Joe V, November 20, 2014, 10:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe V

Have my pump apart and the small shaft gear out.  Seems like the gear in the picture is suppose to turn when the smaller gear spins on the shaft.  Is that correct? 

Any advice on removing the gear in the picture?  It does not turn and I don't want to force it.  Both the smaller shaft gear and the gear in the picture below are provided in the pump rebuild kit. So I want to replace both.

Thanks

georgie49

Several years ago I had a similar problem.  When restoring my '49 I disassembled my hydraulic pump and found the outer ring frozen in the bore, and no amount of penetrating oil could free it.  I finally took it to a fellow CLC member who used an acetylene torch and a lot of hammering to free it up.  After breaking it loose everything cleaned up well and looked fine.  I put it back together and found the pump would not generate any pressure.  I replaced internal seals and relief valve bought from Hydro-Lectric but no luck.  After many-many tries I finally gave up.  I figured the pump must have an internal crack or something that was letting fluid pass from suction to discharge without generating any pressure.  Now the good news.  I finally gave up and advertised in the Self-Starter for a good, working, pump and quickly got several offers at reasonable prices.  I think I ended up paying less than $100 for a good working pump.  It seems many have converted their hydraulic windows to electric and there are quite of few spare pumps to be found.  You might try that route before you invest too much time and money trying to get yours working.
George Bergen, CLC #10261