News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Access for 1960 Dash lights

Started by 76eldo, November 25, 2014, 09:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

I did a search because I am sure this was discussed before but I could not find the previous topic.

I am working on a 1960 DeVille.  It has several of the dash lights out and I think it would be a good idea to change them all.

The shop manual says they can be accessed from the bottom but it appears to be very tight.

Would raising up the dash pad and tilting it allow me to access the bulbs?

On the heater and AC controls, if you take out the screws do they slide forward enough to get to the bulbs?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

n2caddies

Hi Brian
You should be able to wiggle around the a/c ducts to get to the bulbs. Usually helps if you are double jointed and have arms the size of a small child LOL. I study  the picture in the manual to get a sense of where they are as I feel around the cluster using the speedo cable as a reference point.  Another way is to remove the screws on the dash pad and remove the shift indicator from the cluster and lift up the pad to get at them. I use a rubber mallet to hold it up so I can get in there to change them out. This method gives easier access to the bulbs that are on the cruise,clock and heater A/C controls. Don't try to remove those from the dash for access as the cables make it almost impossible and you run a good chance of scratching the dash paint.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

76eldo

Thanks Randy. Appreciate the info.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

76eldo

About those bulbs...

The car I am working on has been restored and the gentleman that owns it wants everything to be as nice as possible. The dash lights were dim and there was a lot of dust in parts of the cluster and at least half of the bulbs were out.

I tried to get my hands up there to feel around, Joe Caristo gave it a shot, as did Mike Cascio.
The only way to really renew the cluster is to remove the dash pad with the cluster attached, remove the cluster, disassemble the cluster and clean the lenses and replace all the bulbs. Mike and I had the dash out and apart and back in in about 2.5 hours.  Mike is a very competent mechanic when it comes to these things. It does take two people to remove the dash but I think if the steering wheel is removed it would be possible to do it yourself.

Even with everything apart, the bulbs for the heater and AC controls are still a pain to get to.

I applaud anyone that can change these bulbs with the limited access provided without really getting the dash out of the car.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

n2caddies

Just an addition to this thread  if I need to completely remove the pad after propping it up as I described above I reach in with a 1/4 drive socket and remove the four 7/16 or 3/8 nuts that hold the cluster to the pad  that way the pad is easily a one man job lifting up and out after disconnecting the light switch, clock, cruise and autronic eye. Goes back together in just the reverse order. I did it one time the way the manual says with the cluster installed and it was very difficult between the steering wheel and rear view mirror even with 2 people.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX