News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1971 Cadillac Fleetwood Windshield Washer motor HELP

Started by Ryan1971, November 26, 2014, 11:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan1971

I have a 71 fleetwood and whenever i turn the wipers on the washer comes on and stays on. I recently replaced the washer pump and it was good for a month and went right back to spraying whenever wipers are on. Someone told me that when you install a new washer motor you have to set it a certain way so it knows when to engage. Any help is appreciated. Any diagrams are greatly appreciated.

J. Skelly

I would look for a short or loose connection in the wiring between the washer pump and wiper motor, but your wiper switch is probably shot.  If it's mounted on the door as it is on the Eldorado, it's easy to swap out.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

mgbeda

The washer pump on that is driven by a cam that engages the wiper motor.  The cam is activated electrically, but returns to "off" by a spring.  If that spring is broken, loose, or sticky the washers will run whenever the wiper motor does.  You probably jostled it back for a while when you replaced the pump.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

TJ Hopland

Was this a complete 'cover' pump assembly?  Or just the actual pump cylinder itself?   

Was it used / rebuilt / new?  IF new was this 30+ year old stock?  15 year old stock?   Modern 'imported' stuff?

I just wonder if you either got a junk part or something that has sat on the shelf too long.

The slightly later ones have some electronics in them that can go bad with age but that all came with the delay option which I think was mid 73?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason