News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Looking for flex duct to air cleaner - '76

Started by Jeff Moffo, December 01, 2014, 01:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moffo

Hi,
I am looking for a new flexible duct to my air cleaner.  I believe mine has been replaced and is too long as it droops into the lower part of the engine bay and does not fit straight from the front of the engine compartment to the air cleaner.  I have a black arrow pointing to one is a photo in case I have not described the piece correctly.   I see Dorman sells a part, but I wanted as close as AC DELCO as possible.  Anyone know a source from which I can purchase one?
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

R Schroeder

Dorman used to make them. I think I bought the last one made by them for my 78..............ha

The one you have doesn't look bad at all.
Roy

Jeff Moffo

The one in the picture is actually not mine!!! I used a photo I keep on my computer of another '76 Cadillac engine compartment! 8)
Mine is really sagging, and I would suspect it affects the air into the carb...
It is not in bad shape...just seems to have too much play.
Jeff M
North Jersey

Jeff Wilk

I need one too in South Jersey.  Any leads out there?
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Classic

Standard Motor Products (SMP) makes/sells various Air Cleaner Intake Hoses. They are sold in most auto part stores.  According to their website http://eaccess.smpcorp.com/ecatalogs/std/AppLookupEMD.aspx?p1=classic&vehicle=207766&Part=DH22&SType=0 , a '76 DeVille with the 500 engine uses their part DH40.  Don't see any available in the US, but Amazon Canada lists them: http://www.amazon.ca/Standard-Motor-Products-DH40-Cleaner/dp/B000C7UQ82#productDetails.  I would verify that DH40 is the correct part first.  May also be used on 1976 - CHEVROLET - CHEVELLE/MALIBU - 6-250 4.1L.  May also cross to the following:
Seller   Number 
CARQUEST  73-3913 
WELLS  E1115 
AIRTEX  1F1010 
DORMAN  96064 (same as NAPA NOE 8256038)
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS  DH40 
GM  364915 

The above came from the Internet - don't know if it is correct or not.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Jeff Moffo

Interesting. I thought that part would be simple to find. Thanks, Gene. Will look into those ideas.
Jeff M
North Jersey

R Schroeder

When I put this title in Google, most places say ; Out of stock.
Not sure it is even the right part .

Standard Motor Products DH40 Air Cleaner Intake Hose

Jeff Moffo

Try and Google "dorman 96064"
It will pop up some sites. Like you said... Most are out of stock. I suppose we can google the original GM part no. , which I believe is 364914, and see where that leads us.
Jeff M
North Jersey

J. Skelly

Since these are usually made of aluminum, take a pair of tin snips and cut off a section and see if that improves the fit.  I've had the end fray at the exhaust manifold before and just got out the snips and snipped away... problem solved!
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

R Schroeder

Jim , he is talking about the other air intake tube.
Roy

J. Skelly

Thanks, Roy.  I should have blown the picture up.  I was looking at the wrong hose.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Jakes

The original GM part no. is 1609174 for a 76 Coupe de Ville.  According to the GM-Cad. Master Parts List it's the same as on my 78 Eldo.  I got it from MyPartsGarage.com, made by Wells Vehicle Electronics, part no. E1124 (Fresh Air Duct Hose).  It looks identical to the original except the vinyl material is sturdier.  However, the cust serv rep at M-P-G thought it was the last one :-\.  When I got it, it came directly from the manufacturer and their address had a cust. serv phone no. -  920-929-6220.  M-P-G's cust serv no. is 1-800-320-3042.  Make some calls and Good Luck..

PS  I just noticed that parts list page in Jeff Moffo's reply shows part no. 364914.  Cad. must have changed the part no.  The no. I quoted above comes from a parts list as of Sept 1979.  His list must be later because in addition to the no. change, the part is more expensive by a couple of bucks.

Regards..
Paul Jacobs
Huntington NY
Paul
'78 Eldo. Custom Biarritz Classic

Jeff Moffo

Paul,
Thanks for responding.  The list I have posted comes from the master parts book from 1981.  The number looked strange to me as most of the numbers for parts I have searched for in the past are 7 digits. 
I'll give those numbers a call and continue the search.
I thought it would be an easier part to get as so many cars had those ducts, and they eventually wear out.  I see them when I google the part,  but all places/sites simply claim, "out of stock."

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey

Jakes

Jeff... If you're successful (I hope) in locating the Wells E1124 Fresh Air Duct, two suggestions:

1. When you take it out of the box it's about a foot long.  Installed length is about 18".  The vinyl material is very sturdy and wants to return to its packaged length.  Find a way of stretching it out to about 22-24" by clamping the ends to something and letting it "cure" for a day.  When you unhook it you'll find that it'll be easier to work with when attaching to the air duct and the air cleaner spout.

2)  The ends will be a very tight fit, especially at the air cleaner.  Carefully spread open the latches as much as possible and slowly work the ends onto the fittings in a sort of spiral motion.  It may take a few tries.  Once they're fully seated the latches will seem like they won't close -- just press down on them hard and they'll latch into their hooks

Voila, it looks like the original.  Stand back and admire.  No drooping.  Talk about a tight fit!

Good Luck..
Paul Jacobs
Huntington NY
Paul
'78 Eldo. Custom Biarritz Classic

Jeff Moffo

Paul,
I found the site: Mypartsgarage.  Actually, I sent a link to the wife so she can buy some odds and ends for the Coupe for Xmas.  She always grabs a few things for the car for me.  If she is successful in getting it - the site said they were in stock, I will take your advice.  The old one (which I believe is original is really hanging really low and I think has finally seen its last day!)

How do you like your Eldo?  Do you drive it regularly or only during the nicer weather?  I live in Ramsey, NJ (about 25 miles NW of Manhattan) and had my Coupe out this weekend as it will probably be the last until the weather gets better.  I hate this time of year, but I do use it to fine tune some of the smaller things.

Thanks for your help. Have a great day
Jeff M
North Jersey