News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Old Style Delco Battery <<<Best Source?>>>

Started by 76eldo, December 02, 2014, 08:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

I need to order a battery like the one in this photo for a 1960.

Where is the best place to get these from?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

jaxops

Brian,

The only one I know is Antique Auto Battery http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/.  I use them for my 56 Cadillac and 70 Electra.  I recommend the sealed units with tipping those things into place (especially the Cadillac behind the fender well). 
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Dan LeBlanc

I ordered mine from Restoration Battery in Ohio and have been pleased with it so far.  It has an AGM battery inside a reproduction case.  No leaking - EVER.

I believe the group 60K I ordered was $395+shipping.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Gene Beaird

Finally something in AGM!  I might have to replace the one in our 68 a little early.  Thanks.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Dan LeBlanc

Gene

I just looked at the website.  His prices have come way down.  The battery for your 68 is down to $295.

http://www.restorationbattery.com/r71s.html

My 60K is down to $285.
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

I find the toppers are ok on a car where you only see the top.  On the Cadillac, it just doesn't look right.  You see too much of the case, and in my application, you have offset posts also.

The real deal looks the part.  Yes, more than a conventional battery, but on par with a standard AGM battery at only slightly more. 

Dan LeBlanc

Chuck Swanson

Like the spring ring cables!.  Have for my Nova but haven't seen for my 65/66 Cadillac's.  Any one know who has these in reproduction for 65-66?  Thanks!  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

kav

I searched the internet and the battery companies , for the battery for my 53 , which is one weird style battery , for quite a while . In the end I went to my local Battery World franchise here in AUS . They had never seen anything like it , especially with a rubber casing . I was enquiring about having the old one rebuilt . Long story short , I had a new one installed within a day . Try one of your big franchises .
1953 series 62
nicknamed  SERENA

Quentin Hall

The 53 style battery is usually available here in Australia cos they are used on forklifts.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

TonyZappone #2624

If you don't  care a lot about judging, go to Walmart buy the big 800 CCA battery, strip off the decals and install.  Buy the period stickon DELCO yellow and black sticker from the battery guy in Ohio, and stick it on the front.  I am beyond caring that I have great radial tires on my '58, serrated belts, electronic ignition and a 3 year guaranteed Walmart battery!
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Gene Beaird

Dan,

Yes, I was salivating when I was looking at their products.  As I said before, FINALLY an AGM battery to fit our Calais.  I HATE liquid-acid-based batteries, but have been looking for an AGM battery that has the capacity for our Cadillac, and this is it.  And it'll look period-correct, to boot!  Not that that's a show-stopper, as we only occasionally show our car, and even then, it's just to local cruise-ins, just for fun.  But yeah, we'll be paying this guy a visit soon.

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on December 02, 2014, 10:21:21 AM
Gene

I just looked at the website.  His prices have come way down.  The battery for your 68 is down to $295.

My 60K is down to $285.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Dan LeBlanc

Gene

It's been 18 months and I'm very happy with mine.  The first year warranty is free replacement and then pro-rated for 4 years after that.  5 year warranty, no leaks, good reserve capacity (I have let the radio play for a few hours in the garage while working on the 61 and still have plenty of starting power left).  It was a no-brainer for me also.

The biggest bonus - it fits the tray and the hold-down perfectly!
Dan LeBlanc

Jason Edge

On my 1964 Coupe DeVille, I have been running a Type 60 reproduction battery from Restoration Battery for at least 5 years with zero issues, and have been very pleased.

On the spring ring type terminal cables, you can scout around for something similar to the length you need if nothing made for your year. For me the 1969 Camaro cables available from Heartbeat City were the exact length for the positive cable (52 1/2") and just 1/2" longer than specs on the negative cable (28 1/2") . The only thing I had to do was transplant the bottom braided ground wire from an old donor cable to the new cable, and paint the alternator feed cable black since it came brown.

Here is an article I included in one of our newsletters last year: http://api.ning.com/files/l8tah2vExAVwVvbOsZVcRNlIDt5BSbowwW4usSfIGi9vHDqjw7y3SnSCbzx6xecH2GwbuJ0iLdGpWT5Q0ocsUSYXsUmXUp-t/OriginalBatteryandBatteryCables.pdf

Here are some more detailed pictures of the Type 60 battery from Restoration Battery:
http://6364cadillac.ning.com/photo/albums/original-type-60-battery-with-correct-spring-ring-battery-cable

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Chuck Swanson

Excellent Jason!  I can remove and measure mine one of these days, but does anyone know f the lengths for the 65-66 battery cables are the same as 63-64..or know length?  Thanks!
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Glen

From the master parts book: 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jason Edge

I will just say I have $300 invested in a nice reproduction maintenance free battery from Restoration Battery that fits correctly in my battery tray and with the correct hold down hardware and it doesn't looked "rigged" and has given me many years of service at this point.  When I go to car shows, the battery and correct spring ring terminals are eye candy for those that remembered the way they were from the factory and probably get more positive feedback from the "old timers" on this item, than any other thing I have done under the hood. When you are at a car show in a sea of Type 27 and other ill fitting batteries with modern bolt terminal cables, I think the investment I have made has given me a lot of satisfaction.  I have the Pertronix III setup under the distributor cap, and an Eldebrock 750 sitting under the original air breather and on top a heavily modified but original intake, for better ignition, and fuel delivery, but nothing is as rewarding as having that original look under the hood.... IF that is what you were after. I know if I were going custom it would be a different story. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on December 02, 2014, 10:21:21 AM
Gene

My 60K is down to $285.

Down to $295  ??

When I can get a superior Delco 6 or 7 year  with more CCA for about $100   ???

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on December 03, 2014, 07:59:40 AM
If you don't  care a lot about judging, go to Walmart buy the big 800 CCA battery, strip off the decals and install.  Buy the period stickon DELCO yellow and black sticker from the battery guy in Ohio, and stick it on the front.  I am beyond caring that I have great radial tires on my '58, serrated belts, electronic ignition and a 3 year guaranteed Walmart battery! 

I like this - except for the wally world part. I prefer the above mentioned AC-Delco.

Toppers - really  ?

Quote from: Jason Edge on December 07, 2014, 09:45:40 AM
I will just say I have $300 invested in a nice reproduction maintenance free battery from Restoration Battery that fits correctly in my battery tray and with the correct hold down hardware and it doesn't looked "rigged" and has given me many years of service at this point.  When I go to car shows, the battery and correct spring ring terminals are eye candy for those that remembered the way they were from the factory and probably get more positive feedback from the "old timers" on this item, than any other thing I have done under the hood. When you are at a car show in a sea of Type 27 and other ill fitting batteries with modern bolt terminal cables, I think the investment I have made has given me a lot of satisfaction.  I have the Pertronix III setup under the distributor cap, and an Eldebrock 750 sitting under the original air breather and on top a heavily modified but original intake, for better ignition, and fuel delivery, but nothing is as rewarding as having that original look under the hood.... IF that is what you were after. I know if I were going custom it would be a different story. 

???

Man, some folks are really into fakery.

How about an actual ORIGINAL Ignition and Fuel system?

I have no starting problems with my Original Rochester QuadraJet, Original design Delco P&C ignition, with Original DELCO Coil, cap and rotor. The ORIGINAL intake has all of its vacuum and electrical lines as per the original specs.

It starts in less than 1/4 second.   :)

Here's my take on this.

I want something that will work as needed with no issues or surprises down the road. If I can get a GM / DELCO item, so much the better, but I'm not going to put something on my car just because it is so-called "authentic" (which is BS in itself because unless it's a genuine NOS item, it's not), only to "look correct".

The came goes for hose clamps, coolant recovery, protecting pressurized AC and PS lines, etc. I want something that will not require constant replacing or repairing.  On the other hand, the P&C has always worked fine for me, and I see no reason to ever resort to an HEI abomination, no matter how well its faked into looking like an original P&C ignition.

An AGM sounds like something to consider. I have to look into it.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Dan LeBlanc

I'm not into fakery either

If I could get an original group 60K dry battery, I'd add the electrolyte and charge it up.  Have NEVER seen one available for sale, so I improvised.  That's what's available, so that's what I use.  It's really not that much more expensive than a plain jane conventional case AGM battery.  Bonus is, I have no leaking battery to rot out my battery tray or eat the anodizing on my grille.

When you have to replace your battery and re-anodize your grille, that bill will be way more than the extra $195 I spent on my battery.

And you can't say modern flooded lead acid batteries don't leak and cause that damage.  I used to work for a battery manufacturer.  I'd go through a pair of pants a week handling new batteries because they were eaten by acid from NEW batteries.

I still run points and condenser, generator and voltage regulator, mechanical fuel pump with glass bowl filter, tower and corbin clamps, and bias ply tires.  The car needs no special attention with these items.  My hoses don't leak, my car starts fine, and the battery is always charged.

To me, a modern looking AC Delco battery is just a battery in a hole to start the car.  The closest fit is a group 27F in the 61 and it doesn't fit the tray right and looks like lipstick on the Mona Lisa.

If my battery left me stranded, I'd buy a modern battery to get me home until I could get the "fake" battery again.
Dan LeBlanc

cadillacmike68

Dan, say it right - "lipstick on a pig"

1961s, yes, these probably looks quite different inside the engine bay.

As to leaking, yup, that can happen, but my grille and passenger side directional were de-anodized and / or de-chromed 40 years ago (they are original and un-restored), so I'm not really concerned. the AC-Delcos have not leaked on me - so far!.

I's also like to get an original DELCO 6 cap with the "eye" but nor for $300 when better performing modern ones cost only $100 or so and have more power. I like the new ones. I can leave my underhood and trunk lights on for several hours and it starts up just fine.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike