News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Assistance with 79-85 Eldorado interior door handle repair please

Started by Matt CLC#18621, December 02, 2014, 12:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

Assistance with 79-85 Eldorado interior door handle repair please.

Anyone have shop manual on how to remove driver's side interior door panel, the handle stopped working and I can hear a raddle.
thanks,
Matt CLC# 18621

TJ Hopland

Unlike earlier models they are all one piece.  I don't remember it being that difficult.   I do remember being amazed at how brittle the plastic was.  One of the cars there was barely enough left to get it back on.   That car the rest of the interior was like new so I don't think it was a result of sitting in the sun. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

James Landi

It's been several years, but I had this issue with my '85 Biarritz... You need to  lower the window on the affect door. then--disconnect the battery, take off the metal control panel on the arm rest..by removing screws involved here... and slide the control panel back (rear) and lift up, and carefully remove the plugs.  remove the screws that hold on the door handle pull... (I think there may be some other metal screws that hold the inner door skin on behind that panel. If you have an ash tray and lighter in the arm rest, remove that, and you'll discover another set of inner skin fasteners below that assembly.  Carefully spring the plastic fasteners on the bottom and sides of the inner door panel.  Some will no doubt break, but don't be too concerned.   (you should buy the correct pry tool for this--- it's worth a few bucks).
You'll know you've most of the inner panel loose because it will feel as if it wants to come off.  You'll find the light fixture wire on the rear end of the inner assemble--- disconnect, because you're going to lift the entire inner panel. Then remove the manual door lock at the rear top of the door.   Now carefully lift up the panel from the bottom--- it slides up over the metal shelf of the door and literally HANGS on the top permeter.  You'll find that the steel drive wire for the door latch is broken off on the rear mechanism. At first I thought I would have to find a part, but with a little creativity and some easy to cut scrap metal, I fabricated a new "eye" over the broken one and drilled and riveted on to the assembly.  I hope this helps.
If you get stuck, send me some pictures, and I can help you through this.