News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The many '56 model Cadillacs

Started by James Landi, December 06, 2014, 03:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

As a young man during the mid 1960's and throughout the 1970's, I drove a 1956 four door dark blue Sedan with trunk mounted air conditioning with air vents overhead --- similar to a Boeing 707. It did not have electric window lifts...(it did have front power seat and high end radio and antenna).  This car appeared to be (much?) shorter in body length when compaired with the Fleetwood, Coup deVille, and the more popular "pilarless" Sedan deVille models.   I was told that this short (rear) deck model was called a "Park Avenue Sedan." The car had FOUR windows on each side... two rear vent windows were mounted at the very rear. On another thread, a gentleman informed me that the designation "Park Avenue" in reference to a short body length Cadillac came into being in the early 1960's models.   I also note here, that when "The Self Starter" featured the MANY models offered during the 1956 model year, the short deck did not appear in any of the numerous pictures. Was my short '56 an entry level Cadillac, or was it marketed for city drivers who wanted a car with less length? Or were the cabin dimensions such that the car appeared to have a shorter rear end?

Walter Youshock

It was not a park Avenue sedan.  The standard 62 series sedan was a short trunk car.  The new for '56 sedan Deville had the longer coupe trunk. 

The original 1956 sedan Deville was one of the most gorgeous cadillacs ever made.  It was also Cadillac ' s most expensive years. 

The front and rear face lifts were exclusive to that year.  One year only front and rear bumpers, grilles, the wheels and wheelcovers,  one year only gold sabre wheels option.

The sedan Deville that year was truly a coupe De ville cut with different doors.   Simply gorgeous.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

dplotkin

You had a Series 62 sedan which was the entry level Cadillac notwithstanding that it had the exact same interior space, front and back, and the exact same powertrain as the top of the (sedan) line, the Fleetwood. What you did not have was the wheelbase or extended rear deck of the Fleetwood. The Sedan DeVille used the wheelbase of the series 62 with an extended deck.

To my knowledge the 56 Series 62 was not called a Park Avenue as were those certain abbreviated deck cars of the early 60's.
Indeed the 56 series 62 is stubby, especially compared with its stablemates. It almost looks like a swollen Chevrolet.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

James Landi

Thank you gentlemen for the clarifications.  When we consider just how may variations were available... and in this regard we are discussing sheet metal, door sizes-- hardware, etc. there existed so many models, colors, and interiors and SIZES.... not to mention, various options.... I drove my '56 to work--- a round trip of over 90 miles a day.   I used the A/C, however, on hot, humid days, I used a washcloth over my neck and  left shoulder, as the condensate from that powerful roof vented A/C would drip on me. ... it was a terrifically quiet and comfortable car.   Aside from having to have the engine rebuilt because it would not pass NJ inspection, the only other challenging problem was that the steel wheels cracked (two fronts at the same time) --- I suppose due to flexing and the high mileage I accumulated on the car.   By the way, I loved the proportions of the car... but then, in matters of taste, there are no arguments.  Again, thank you for your answers... James

Walter Youshock

Actually,  the 60 Special extention was between the wheels.   There is a longer rear seat legroom by 3 inches.  In addition, the 60 Special also had the longer coupe trunk.

They're not the same car in many respects.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

James Landi

So it's not just an extension of sheet metal... but wheel base and (additional drive train and suspension) hardware?  My car, the entry level short deck 62, had the same built in windshield visor and a good deal of the same conservative aesthetic as the Fleetwood. It attracted a good deal of attention as it aged, because from 1957 on, automobile design departed entirely from Cadillac's 54,55,56 design cues.  In the late 70's, I would often be asked about the car... it always seemed strangely discordant and so very formal.  I loved the car, but alas, using it as a daily driver and in spite of a good deal of money and time spent on paint and appearance, the rust took over, so by 1980, I gave it to a restorer.     

Walter Youshock

The sixty special was built on a 133 inch wheelbase, exclusive to that model.  Roof, rear doors and floor were longer than the standard 129 inch series 62 cars.  It also had the same size trunk as the coupes.

1966 had to be one of the most expensive years for Cadillac.   With 2 new models - sedan Deville and Eldorado seville; the new front and rear end styling, new engine and transmission,  new power brake system, gold grille and one year only gold sabres plus new 6 - way seat, power trunk and power antenna and first year for air conditioning in convertibles.  So much went into what many see only as a face lifted '55.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

James Landi

So much new and so many models....so as GM was managing the 1956 model year, the company was spooling up for the dramatically different 1957 models....

Walter Youshock

I think the seville was introduced for '56 to compete with the continental mark I I.   The brougham was running a year late and the top coupe was the coupe Deville so they needed another totl coupe.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

James Landi

so you are saying that the 1955-56 Seville models were "testing the market" for radical design departures, that came in big time for the 1957-1960 model years?

Walter Youshock

No.  I'm saying Cadillac had to come up with a top line coupe so they created the Eldorado seville.  It was competition to the continental.  To have both a coupe and convertible in that series was a smart move. 

There was no '55 Eldorado seville.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

dplotkin

Quote from: Walter Youshock on December 06, 2014, 07:06:07 PM
Actually,  the 60 Special extention was between the wheels.   There is a longer rear seat legroom by 3 inches.  In addition, the 60 Special also had the longer coupe trunk.

They're not the same car in many respects.

If that was intended to correct information I supplied please note I said  What you did not have was the wheelbase or extended rear deck of the Fleetwood.

The extra rear leg room if its there at all (your assertion is new to me, I'll have to see if you are right) is negligible. I own a 56 Fleetwood.

Kind regards,

Dan
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Sounds like it's time to break out the tape measures.  ;)

Wally is indeed correct: Extended wheelbase was a hallmark of the 60 Special through until 1958. From 1959 - 1964, 60 Special shared the wheelbase length with all junior models; got its exclusive wheelbase back again from 1965 - 1976; returning back to the standard platform on the 1977 Fleetwood Brougham (now no longer designated a 60 Special) where it remained until the end.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Walter Youshock

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

dplotkin

Quote from: ericdev on December 08, 2014, 09:09:50 AM
Sounds like it's time to break out the tape measures.  ;)

Wally is indeed correct: Extended wheelbase was a hallmark of the 60 Special through until 1958. From 1959 - 1964, 60 Special shared the wheelbase length with all junior models; got its exclusive wheelbase back again from 1965 - 1976; returning back to the standard platform on the 1977 Fleetwood Brougham (now no longer designated a 60 Special) where it remained until the end.

Come on guys, please read what I wrote!

I was not arguing about wheelbase. If you read my post you will read that I'm aware of the wheelbase differences as I own the blessed car!

I was arguing about the differences in interior room between a 62 & a 60! Walter asserts the Fleetwood has three extra inches of legroom. I'm prepared to accept that if someone can prove it in that I don't have a series 62 to measure & I've always read interior space was the same.

Dan
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Dan LeBlanc

The 1956 Data Book indicates that the rear leg room is identical in 60 and 62 series cars.

Many years of data books and vehicle information kits are available for free download at the GM Heritage Centre website (or you can spend the additional $50 to have them print it and mail it to you with your build sheet).

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

I've attached the four pages in question.

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Caddy Wizard

I have had several of these 54-56 models, including both Series 62 sedans and 60 Specials (Fleetwoods).  The wheelbase is longer on the 54-56 Fleetwoods, but they don't seem to have increased the rear leg room very much.  If it is larger back there, it is just a little larger.  My impression has always been that there is about an inch of additional leg room in the back, but I haven't actually measured it.  If I remember to do this, I could compare the legroom in my 55 FW with that of my 54 S62 sedan.

Obviously, the trunk is much larger on the FWs.  More importantly, the car rides a lot differently.  You might not think the extra few inches of wheelbase would make much difference, but you'd be wrong.  It makes a noticeable difference in refinement in the ride.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

James Landi

Hi Art,

I am fascinated by your final comment regarding "...the refinement of the ride."  I opened this thread by asking questions about the 1956 model year, and the company's commitment to providing a vast range of exterior and interior designs throughout the 1956 offerings.  Having spent many hours in my '56, model 62 short deck (18,000 miles each year for five years in commute) and then additional years and miles before I gave the old gal to a restorer, I always ASSUMED that the choice among models focused on design appeal and options. With the proper tires (inflated to specs), the car was exceedingly quiet, smooth, and powerful... (braking at highway speeds and body lean in turns were problematic!)  So I learned a great deal from these postings that design differences were more than skin deep.   Would you venture to explain the "ride refinements" in the FLeetwood? Was it weight distribution, suspension, etc.? 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Rear legroom was definitely increased in later '60 Special models; I cannot speak for the '50s.

If wheelbase was greater, it stands to reason there must be more interior room, somewhere. Unless we're in the twilight zone.  :o

Something just doesn't add up in the Data Book...

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute