News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Radiator Cap 500 cu in. 1976

Started by Jeff Moffo, December 08, 2014, 01:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moffo

Wondering if anyone can tell me if this radiator cap is what would have been OEM on my car back in '76?
Thanks,
Jeff M
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

Dan LeBlanc

To the untrained eye, that would appear to be an aftermarket replacement.  Do you have a more detailed close-up photo of the cap in question?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jeff Moffo

Hi Dan,
Unfortunately, I do not.  I am really trying to ascertain what cap would have been on there on day 1...seems difficult to do.  I did try OPGI and their OEM cap looks entirely different.
Jeff M
North Jersey

jsanford

RC27 is the correct AC cap for '76, the one in Matt Garrett's picture looks pretty original. Here is a repro RC27 that looks the same as the one in Matt's picture: https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/classiccarpartsdetail.aspx?partNumber=CS12460T&Year=1968,%201969,%201970,%201971,%201972&Model=Cutlass/442&Cat=Cooling%20Systems&Subcat=OVERFLOW%20BOTTLE%20KIT%20and%20COMPONENTS

Obviously it is not being sold as fitting a 1976 Cadillac, but it is the right cap number and it seems to match the original 38 year old one in the picture.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR

Jeff Moffo

Wow. Thanks. My previous 76 Coupe had an original style(or so I was told)  shown in the Eldorado's 500 in that cutout photo. I appreciate the link, Jeremy.
Regards,
Jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey

mgbeda

Great find, Jeremy!  I want one.

I had gotten a new Delco RC27, but they are black and yellow now.

I have had some luck with Oldsmobile 442 parts suppliers too.  USA parts sold me some repro two-wire-and-screw type radiator hose clamps that fit perfectly, but were only listed for Oldsmobiles (they may be changing that now).

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Jeff Moffo

So the red stripe is day one from the factory, correct?
Jeff M
North Jersey

jsanford

I think the "Red Stripe" cap is correct back to 1969, the first year of the closed system.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR