News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

55 Cadillac Transmission Tailstock Seal

Started by Bob Kielar, December 10, 2014, 09:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kielar

Hello all,
                 Before I attempt to replace the tailstock seal are there any tips for removing the old one.
Thanks,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only way I have found is to drive a screw driver under the outer steel lip, and pry it out.

It will destroy the seal, but that won't matter as you were going to replace it.

Then simply drive the replacement on squarely.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Caddy Wizard

To remove that very stubborn seal, I use a pry bar of sorts that I bought from one of the tool companies (MATCO or Snap-On, I forget which).  It is about 2 ft long, with a pointed spike at one end and a 90 degree pry finger at the other end.  Halfway along the shank or shaft is a hammer tang that you can bang on to your heart's delight.  So you hook the finger into the seal, just like using a regular seal remover.  Then, instead of prying it out, you hammer on the tang and drive the thing out. 

I have found these tail stock seals to be extremely tight fits and it will take a LOT of hammering to get the thing out.  But it will come out.  Then, drive in the new one with a properly sized hollow drift.  It needs to be hollow to avoid hitting the output shaft as you drive in the seal around the shaft.  I made a drift out of a block of wood that I cut into an annulus on one face (I drilled out the center with a large Forstener bit to make clearance for the output shaft and carefully pared the outside of the annulus with a sharp wood chisel).
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Bob Kielar

Man that was brutal . :P Thanks for the replies.

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yep, that is about normal, if you don't have a very thin slide hammer or puller.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Sixty_five

Mine is leaking as well. Looking at your photo compared to mine something is causing grooves or is it missing a seal? There's a seal in the driveshaft that looks fine.

Roger Zimmermann

To me, it seems that the end seal is missing...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

I am of the same opinion.

You shouldn't be able to see the return slot in the bottom of the housing if the seal is there.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Bob Kielar

Man I'm totally confused although it doesn't take much. Where is there a seal in the driveshaft also where is the return slot? :-\

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

signart

With easy access to the seal such as this one, leave your hammer in your tool box. Just drill a small pilot hole into middle of the flat surface of the seal. Take a sheet metal screw and grind the sharp point off of it. Use a drill and drive the screw into the hole until it pushes the seal out. Takes about 2 sec.
Art D. Woody

The Tassie Devil(le)

My bad.   What I took as the return slot is actually a large drop of oil sitting on the bottom of the inner seal lip, and the outer ring.

It gave me the impression that the seal was actually out, and once you do remove the seal, you will see a slot under the rear yoke bush, which allows the oil to return to the transmission, after it has done its' job of lubricating the bushing.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe