News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'71 Valve Cover Removed (pic)

Started by wbdeford, December 11, 2014, 06:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbdeford

Removed the passenger side valve cover to replace the leaky gasket...anything to learn from what is seen here?  Anything I should do while it is opened?  I notice the outer rocker arms, springs, etc, are cleaner than the inner ones....not sure if that means anything.

http://bcdef.us/71eldo/passValveCoverRemoved.jpg
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

TJ Hopland

That is a little more pronounced than others I have seen but I have seen it before.   I think it has to do with the airflow under the valve cover.    My first thought is it spent a fair amount of its life making shorter trips (not getting fully warmed up) and running a paraffin? oil like Pennzoil.   At this age its had to have done some sitting or short trips so maybe didn't get the oil changed as often as it should have.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wbdeford

The oil in it when I bought it was pretty dirty.  I don't think it has been driven much the last couple of years.  Should it clean up somewhat just from driving it regularly and keeping clean oil in it?
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

TJ Hopland

Unless you have the time and money to go looking for problems and are ready to deal with what ever you find I would just finish the gasket job and call er good.     I'm not saying there are issues but if you go looking for problems you will most likely find problems with an engine at this age. 

I would not use any special oil flush products.  I would just use a quality oil and maybe change it early the first few times especially if it seems to get dirty quickly.     Thats what I do with new to me cars.    For a occasional driver this may mean it gets changed twice in one year rather than just yearly.    For a daily driver maybe a 1000-1500 miles.   

wbdeford

Thanks, TJ....that's what I will do, then :) 
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Boy, this is a new one.

The central sludge area could be from excessive heat caused by the exhaust crossover, but the ends look like a really nice clean lubricated engine.

Never seen the discolouration as pictured.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I thought I had some photos of a similar engine but cant seem to find em. 

Good thought about extra heat.  No cat to plug on a 71.  Does it have a 'heat riser' valve?

Does it seem to run well?   Hot restart fine?   What sort of ambient temps have you run it in?

chrisntam

You got it that opened up, might as well pull the motor and rebuild it.

>:D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

wbdeford

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 11, 2014, 08:03:03 PM
I thought I had some photos of a similar engine but cant seem to find em. 

Good thought about extra heat.  No cat to plug on a 71.  Does it have a 'heat riser' valve?

Does it seem to run well?   Hot restart fine?   What sort of ambient temps have you run it in?

Don't know if it has a heat riser valve.  Ran a bit rough when I bought it.  Had pitted points and a mostly-dead cylinder due to a spark wire resting on the exhaust manifold on the opposite side.  Some very hardened and loose fitting vacuum hoses, so likely some amount of vacuum leak around them.  Runs much better now with the Pertronix and new spark wires, but it hasn't left my garage.  Hot restart is fine.  I have only run it in cool weather, as I live in Ohio and bought the car in November.  But it was low on coolant when I got it, so it may have been running too hot.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Scot Minesinger

I would finish the gasket job and too and be done with it.  Likely the timing chain is original and you may want to consider replacing it.  When you do the oil pan will be dropped and you can replace the rear main seal too.  This is a nice winter project.  In answer to your question the timing chain has nothing to do with this necessary gasket change.  Good to re-torque the bolts after 100 miles.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

Sounds like you are doing the right things.   Get the obvious stuff fixed and get it driving so you can see what else will soon need attention and how much you like the car.    Hopefully you will get some miles on it before something significant needs to be done.   If when that happens you will know how much you like the car so that will help you decide if its time to move on or spend some time and money.    The good thing is the mechanical stuff for these cars is not too hard to find or expensive.   Body and interior is a little more tricky but complete cars are still generally around and affordable. 

wbdeford

According to the shop manual, replacing the timing chain on an Eldorado requires removing the engine from the chassis....Is there a way to evaluate its condition while still in the car?  The biggest issue right now is with the transmission--if it turns out it needs to be rebuilt, the engine will be coming out anyway.  I'm hoping the transmission only needs a governor or vacuum modulator.  Once the engine is running properly, I will start diagnosing the transmission.

Thanks guys for all the help!
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I agree. 
Just replace the gasket and cover then go drive it. 
The problems will find you.  Unless you have a huge budget, don't go looking for anything else.  Just see how she drives and then go from there.
Jeff.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

The best way to check for a worn-out Timing set is to pull the distributor cap and turn the engine backwards and forwards, and note the amount of crankshaft rotation there is before the rotor turns.   If it is a lot, then the timing chain si either stretched, or the Cam Gear has lost its nylon teeth caps.

The other method is to pull the distributor, and use a torch and a long screw driver to see, and feel how loose the chain is.

If you have to pull the trans to repair it, remove both the engine, trans and diff as a unit, as it is very easy to do, and then split the trans from the engine and diff on a bench.   Plus, whenever you have the trans out, always replace the rear drive chain cover gasket, as this cannot be done whilst the trans is in the car, and even if it isn't leaking, if you touch the bolts, it will start to leak.   One of those easy to do things when out of the car.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on December 12, 2014, 07:58:12 PM
The other method is to pull the distributor, and use a torch and a long screw driver to see, and feel how loose the chain is.

Remember Bruce is not in the USA so when he says use a torch he means a flashlight. 

I will cross a finger for you on the transmission.   Hope it works out for you better than they do for me.  I have never been lucky enough that its been an external problem.     If it is toast pulling engine and trans is a good plan.    While the trans is getting done you can take the 'tins' off the engine for a good inspection and more new gaskets.   This will get you a good look at the overall condition.    Along with the timing set also do the frost plugs.   You can't get at half of those in the eldo when the trans is in the way.