News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Series 62 Horn Ring Removal

Started by 31caddy, December 12, 2014, 05:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

31caddy

I am helping a friend to get his horns working on his 1953 series 62 convertible. There is 12v on the battery terminal of the horn relay, and the horns blow when I ground the S terminal of the horn relay. When the horn ring is held down there is no continuity between the S terminal and ground.
My question is : how do I remove the horn ring/center cap assembly on the steering wheel. This is a VERY nice car and I do not want to damage anything. Thanks.
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR

Bob Schuman

The center button on the steering wheel comes off first. You press the button inward , compressing the spring under it, turn about 45 degrees counterclockwise, and the spring will push it off in your hand. Next, remove the large nut holding the horn ring and steering wheel, and the horn ring will be free.

On my 51, pressing the center button would not free it to be turned, because I was depressing the horn ring with the button. I used two wood popsicle sticks in the gap between the horn ring and top of the steering column. This prevented the horn ring from moving, and the button was easily removed.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

31caddy

Bob, Thanks very much for posting! I had tried pressing and turning the center button counterclockwise, but had no luck getting it to come off. I am certain that you are right on target with what was happening and I will try tomorrow to block the ring from moving. I was very concerned that I would break the plastic center cap. Thanks again. Rick.
R. Rowland CLC #28971

2005 Cadillac XLR

P W Allen CLC# 20193

The directions Bob gave you is absolutely correct. But this simple job can be absolutely frustrating--- sometimes. The plastic cap has three tabs that fit into a metal ring with a spring in the center. There are three openings in the ring that the tabs fit into. When you push down and turn, you are trying to line up the tabs with the openings in the ring. Problem is, you can't see anything so your doing everything by feel. The clearance between the tabs and the openings in the ring is tight, so they have to be lined up perfectly before the cap will pop off. I've included a photo that shows the three tabs on the plastic cap. Don't worry too much about breaking the cap. It is very rugged as you will see once you get it apart. I've done this job a couple of times. It can take as little as 5 seconds to do, but I've fiddled with it for over a half hour before. Just go slow. You will be only turning the cap about an inch to line up the tabs. Push down firmly while turning. Good Luck! By the way, if by chance the cap does get broken, McVey's has reproduction ones.
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

31caddy

Paul, Super-valuable post! Thank you, Rick.  :)
R. Rowland CLC #28971

2005 Cadillac XLR