News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1974 Cadillac differential fluid level - need experience here

Started by Scot Minesinger, December 15, 2014, 08:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

I am changing rear springs and owner asked me to change differential fluid while I was working in that area.  The fluid has been recently changed so I am checking proper level.  The shop manual says it should be 1/2" below plug.

With car raised on a jack stands supporting frame, the wheels drop and the front of the carrier droops so differential casing is sloped forward.  If car was raised on axles or tires differential would be level.  When I removed plug with differential sloped, fluid is right at top of plug hole.  If I raised car on tires it probably would be a 1/2" below hole.

Question, shop manual does not say how car is supported when checking fluid or if it is even raised.  Is this "1/2" below plug hole differential fluid level" statement by shop manual with car supported by tires or frame?

I think the 70 thru 74 is the exact same 2.93 differential and casing.

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

76eldo

I'm sure that the book assumes the car will be level.

I always fill a dif or manual gear box until its at the level of the plug hole and dribbling out.
Just the bottom part of the ring gear is sitting in the oil so there are no worries about overfilling it.

If possible put a jack under the rear to level it out.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)