News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Side post battery cut offs options

Started by GBrown #8092, December 17, 2014, 12:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

Has anyone had success with any of them? I have tried them on several of my cars and have had each one fail, after a period of time, while I have had the same one on a top post battery for over 20 years. I have purchased them at swap meets and at name brand auto supply stores. Each one has either stopped worked or come apart.

Additionally, has anyone been able to install such a device on a 1989-1993 front driver (mine is a 93 Touring Sedan). Even if I could get one that would live for this car, there is no room to install it.  There is barely enough room to disconnect the battery without half removing it. It really needs one as the battery goes dead in about 3 weeks. After dealing with that issue with a new one in 1992, I was told that is the design parameter (Allante's were 2 weeks) as they didn't expect that anyone would let their cars sit for longer than that. 

Has anyone come up with an alternative method to disconnect power to the battery? 

I should add that my storage facility has very limited access to electricity so a battery tender/minder is not feasible.

Glenn

Scot Minesinger

You can get a real good rotary one from Summit Racing, that will not fail.  The way you hook it up is remove ground cable connected to negative on battery from frame and sheet metal and attach to lug of switch.  Then get a two lug battery cable from any Auto parts store, see three feet long and attach to other side of switch and back ground where it was originally.  The sheet metal wire can go on same lug on switch.  I can send photo if you wish.  These are super nice switches that cost like $50 or so and rated for 750 amps.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

gary griffin

I would consider a firewall mounted switch.  The lever would be inside the car and it is also accessible if there is a fire in the engine compartment.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jon S

I've had one of those green knob switches on my Corvette (side mount terminals) for over 20 years and no problem.  The switch needs to be attached to the Negative side of the battery.  Unless your switch is getting corroded from battery acid it should perform as well as the top mount varieties.  If it were to fail, it would be because of corrosion under the green cap.  You could coat it and the side it makes contact with when tightened with dielectric grease as a precaution.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

936CD69

Glenn,

Owning 2 93 SdV, I understand your situation. I would definitely connect the disconnect the negative cable and NOT use a disconnect switch. I use battery minders on mine but that is not an option for you. There are 7 computer modules in your car that do not like arcing, and the disconnect switch would be very doficult to install as you note. The negative cable has 2 cables molded into one end. Although the A/C liquid line runs near the face of the battery, you can get a slim 5/16 wrench in there and remove the cable connection.

HTH

Craig
Craig Brillhart CLC# 26217
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Carmine Red White Top-SOLD!
1993 Sedan deVille Spring Edition Triple Black
CLCMRC Benefactor #302

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Glenn,
I would second the "battery tender" option.  Fry one of your computers and you will not be a happy camper.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

GBrown #8092

Thanx all.

I think I have a game plan. 
For now, the battery will be on the shelf  until we get back to good weather, which will probably be late April here.

GB